Tank Boots, Boats and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... just to be clear...

The GI3 comment that I referenced was specifically about OW diving from a boat. I used the word "argument" but in fact, George's actual remark was much more colorful and confident... as anyone might imagine. He left no doubt that he preferred the smaller tanks for the reasons that I mentioned earlier. Perhaps this has nothing to do with DIR... I really have no idea.

do it easy:
It sounds like practice for cave penetration, or it could be just another excuse to go diving. Regardless, it sounds like it was a good time. I just hope that there weren't any boots on those steel tanks. :D

Any excuse to go diving is a good excuse. "Honey, I need to burn test the batteries in these scouts, I'll be back on Sunday night....." :D

Soggy:
What was the purpose of running the line in open water?
Practice ... PNW divers don't have caves to practice in. Local divers who travel to places like Mexico and Florida to get their cave training need someplace to practice their skills in between trips ... :wink:

For those who are not into cave diving, participating in these dives provides an insight into dive planning and execution that typical open ocean diving just doesn't afford.

That and ... well ... it's just something different to do ... you can only dive the local sites so many times before it just becomes repetitive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know this is an old thread and really do not want to see anything else about AL vs. steel and GI3 this and JJ that.... But, "WHY NO BOOTS?", never got answered effectively for the poor guy! Sheesh!

I've seen (and VIP'd) several old steel LP72's that had original hydro dates from the 50's that had lived with boots for half a century that had nothing more than minor scale under the boots. These were all galvanized cylinders mind you. I have seen Faber's that were just a few hydros old that had to be condemned due to excessive rusting under the boots. Much of this is directly related to cylinder coatings and boot design (some drain very poorly). I also know guys that never rinse their tanks after saltwater dives (I do).

FWIW- I hate seeing steels come in for service with double skid marks worn through the zinc coating on the bottoms. I have seen them fail for excessive wear/rust here as well.

I dive a completely Hogarthian rig (and outsiders do call me DIR sometimes...I'm not, I sometimes dive air when shallower than 100' :no ) but with boots. Aside from the boots my gear looks like JJ himself built it up (including multiple "Blue H" logos).

Norseman1:
I know this is an old thread and really do not want to see anything else about AL vs. steel and GI3 this and JJ that.... But, "WHY NO BOOTS?", never got answered effectively for the poor guy! Sheesh!

They are unnecessary, trap salt water, and cause corrosion problems.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom