Tank boots on or off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A huge part of why you don't see them in cave country is the historical fact that no one had tank boots down there because of the DIR movement making people take them off. Take that 20 years later to now, and basically no one in cave country buys new tanks so there are no boots to go around.

I got to live through the "DIR" movement -- I was on of those strokes that was taught to breathe from the short hose and bungee my long hose by my cave instructor. I even used to have D-rings mounted on my doubles to hang backup lights from.

I do not remember a single active diver pre-DIR that dove with tank boots. I'm sure there were a few, but they were the minority then just as they are now.

These guys are happy they didn't have tank boots.

1983.jpg

Attachments

• 1983.jpg
    1983.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 92
Boots are for your feet and a courtesy to boats. If you're going into an overhead they come off. There is zero benefit and significant risks to having that boot.

please explain the significant risks, and actual significant risks of having tank boots in an overhead.

While I do concede that there is 0 benefit in the water, but there are quite a few benefits top side and they are inconvenient enough to take off that in certain circumstances it makes more sense to leave on.

Like I said, I personally leave them on my doubles since I don't dive doubles in a cave and the areas I dive have significant benefit to allowing the doubles to stand up on their own and not destroy boat decks. If in cave country they'd probably stay off.

@kensuf 8" diameter tanks where the risk of line getting stuck is quite real and I agree with removal in that instance.
The risk in 8" tanks as I said above is quite real. 0.5" gap between the tanks unbooted, and with the hexagonal boots you can make them touch if they are clocked incorrectly. Line can absolutely get stuck in there and your buddy would have one helluva time getting it out.
On narrower diameter doubles, the gap is much larger and that risk essentially goes away. It's still possible to get hung, but no worse than several other places on your body.

In sidemount, there is no risk and I think the lack of boots is historic.

Corrosion risk is real, especially on Faber bottles, with the old Faber boots, but the new design has all but removed that with the ridges around the boot especially for fresh water. With PST and Worthington I don't think that risk is real so long as you are properly rinsing after salt water dives *read go cave diving to clean your gear off ;-)

Last edited:
I assume that was a joke since at least one tank in the photo has a boot? Or is that not a tank I'm looking at.

Please tell me you are not talking about the white light canister.

Yes, those are light canisters on the right hip, not bail out bottles.

I assume that was a joke since at least one tank in the photo has a boot? Or is that not a tank I'm looking at.

That's an endcap on a home made light canister, not a tank boot. Neither of them have tank boots on their doubles.

I got to live through the "DIR" movement -- I was on of those strokes that was taught to breathe from the short hose and bungee my long hose by my cave instructor. I even used to have D-rings mounted on my doubles to hang backup lights from.

I do not remember a single active diver pre-DIR that dove with tank boots. I'm sure there were a few, but they were the minority then just as they are now.

I am behind Ken on this, did the pre-Hogathian and Hogarthian thing (before DIR was coined), and didn't use tank boots. Are tank boots the big bug-a-boo that is going to reach and grab the line, probably not, and probably hard to find someone that had an entanglement with tank boots. Could it present a problem when getting through a restriction, possibly. Can it cause rusting issues with non-PST tanks aka Fabers- YES!. The joke was always (not my joke,but heard it many times), tank boots on doubles were the wreck divers who came to play cave diving, or something to the effect.

That's an endcap on a home made light canister, not a tank boot. Neither of them have tank boots on their doubles.

I call this double standards wrt entanglement/risk argument. The risk of boots on cylinders is an absolute JOKE (maintenance neglect excluded) !! If it was such a risk; finding evidence and first hand experiences would be plentyfull.

no boots for me. never been a problem cave diving or tech diving off of boats.

I call this double standards wrt entanglement/risk argument. The risk of boots on cylinders is an absolute JOKE (maintenance neglect excluded) !! If it was such a risk; finding evidence and first hand experiences would be plentyfull.

If you notice, he's got a scubapro stab jacket for his "wing". It was the early 80s when that photo was taken, gear configuration has changed a bit since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom