Tank configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am Cavern certified with TDI. I did it because I wanted to dive the cenotes. I did that last year. Due to life, I am not able to go again for a year or so.

When I did it, I did it on a single tank, back mounted.

I want to go longer, and to the maximum depth and penetration. I also want to limit the time spent fumbling with gear on land. I also want some redundancy.

So, the next time I go cenote diving, I want to have 2 tanks.

So, which is better - doubles or sidemount?

Which is "idiot resistant"? (I don't use idiot proof, as things I thought were idiot proof, the idiots went against it.)

Backmounted doubles.

Also take intro to cave or something before your drive to go farther and deeper takes you too far and too deep.

Depending what type of cave diving you intend to do - once your certified to be there of course. Back mount is best for wreck diving - Sidemount is best for cave diving. Sidemount gives you access to both tanks - regs - gauges - hoses and you can take your long hose tank off and hold it in front of you to gain access to tighter restrictions. It also is a more balanced configuration. When you turn sideways in back mount single or double tanks - they become heavy in that direction since now the weight of the tanks has shifted from the centre of your body to now be right or left of the centre of your body. In side mount that doesn't happen. The rig always stays balanced. You can dive either configuration in either environment but both have advantages that make them more suited for a specific environment. IMO

Backmounted doubles.

Also take intro to cave or something before your drive to go farther and deeper takes you too far and too deep.

The drive only exists as long as it isn't narrow. If I cannot swim through without touching with my arms stretched out in any direction, or any other part of my body touches. I know I am never going to be a full cave diver, but maybe the Intro might be a good idea.

Depending what type of cave diving you intend to do - once your certified to be there of course. Back mount is best for wreck diving - Sidemount is best for cave diving. Sidemount gives you access to both tanks - regs - gauges - hoses and you can take your long hose tank off and hold it in front of you to gain access to tighter restrictions. It also is a more balanced configuration. When you turn sideways in back mount single or double tanks - they become heavy in that direction since now the weight of the tanks has shifted from the centre of your body to now be right or left of the centre of your body. In side mount that doesn't happen. The rig always stays balanced. You can dive either configuration in either environment but both have advantages that make them more suited for a specific environment. IMO

When I did my course, the ones that did the sidemount constantly were switching regs. I want to leave my reg in.

As I said, I am cavern certified.

With what you are saying, it sounds like sidemount should be used for both cave and wreck diving.

I have never been cave diving in Flordia. All my training and cave diving is from Mexico. Having said that there will be differences of opinion because of the difference in the caves as I have been told. My Mexico cave diving has taken me into Bedding Planes. Low overhead areas that back mount couldn't pass thru. I also encounter short distance areas where I need to turn sideways or partially sideways to pass thru. Easy to do in Sidemount. You can of course dive back-mount in Mexico caves - you need to avoid bedding planes. If changing regs in sidemount concerns you - then all of the real skills you learn for cave diving will likely be far beyond your comfort level. Again IMO.

With what you are saying, it sounds like sidemount should be used for both cave and wreck diving.

More like CAN be used....Sidemount has its benefits...dragging your ass back on a boat in 6ft seas is definitely not one of them.

Wrecks that are on their sides are a no brained when it comes to ease of penetration...sidemount is the right tool for the job. Backmount can still be utilized efficiently in those wrecks though.

In a cave on the other hand, overhead clearance can’t really be mitigated in backmount. Some passages are flat out not accessible in BM, but then again, some are not accessible in sidemount either.

If navigating restrictions isn’t your cup of tea,
There’s virtually nothing you can’t do in BM.

I have never been cave diving in Flordia. All my training and cave diving is from Mexico. Having said that there will be differences of opinion because of the difference in the caves as I have been told. My Mexico cave diving has taken me into Bedding Planes. Low overhead areas that back mount couldn't pass thru. I also encounter short distance areas where I need to turn sideways or partially sideways to pass thru. Easy to do in Sidemount. You can of course dive back-mount in Mexico caves - you need to avoid bedding planes. If changing regs in sidemount concerns you - then all of the real skills you learn for cave diving will likely be far beyond your comfort level. Again IMO.

Bedding planes?

If you read the 4th post, you will see that I do not want to go into anywhere that restrictive. I am mildly claustrophobic. A cave is fine as long as I have room to maneuver. If it is too narrow, then I am not going in it.

I don't like having to clear regs. I never have. I can, but if I can avoid it, I will.

More like CAN be used....Sidemount has its benefits...dragging your ass back on a boat in 6ft seas is definitely not one of them.

Wrecks that are on their sides are a no brained when it comes to ease of penetration...sidemount is the right tool for the job. Backmount can still be utilized efficiently in those wrecks though.

In a cave on the other hand, overhead clearance can’t really be mitigated in backmount. Some passages are flat out not accessible in BM, but then again, some are not accessible in sidemount either.

If navigating restrictions isn’t your cup of tea,
There’s virtually nothing you can’t do in BM.

As I said before, I don't want too navigate through restrictions. If the cave is massive, but further in than the requirements of Cavern, I am not supposed to go further. I am someone who stays within the training I have received. So, for those bigger wider, higher caves, I want to go to the point that there is a restriction and then turn around.

Bedding planes?

If you read the 4th post, you will see that I do not want to go into anywhere that restrictive. I am mildly claustrophobic. A cave is fine as long as I have room to maneuver. If it is too narrow, then I am not going in it.

A bedding plane, by definition, is not narrow. It is, however, not as tall as it is wide.

I would say if you are uncomfortable with a perceived lack of room to manuever, or uncomfortable with the idea of removing your reg, you may not be a good candidate to pursue overhead training any further.

A bedding plane, by definition, is not narrow. It is, however, not as tall as it is wide.

I would say if you are uncomfortable with a perceived lack of room to manuever, or uncomfortable with the idea of removing your reg, you may not be a good candidate to pursue overhead training any further.

That is why I am asking what is a good set up for the training I have. I have no issues with staying at that certification level. If i wanted tto venture further, I would discuss that with an instructor to see if it is even worth my time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom