Tank fell off and lost dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buminbeer2

Registered
Reaction score
I have about 50 dives under my belt. A few years ago on about my 30th dive or so, I was following a buddy going way too fast for me and lost him in about 40 feet of water, vis about 10'. So, I figured I'd head back about 100 yards to the dock to meet up and head to the suface to see if I could find my buddy, as I started ascending, my tank came out of the harness. I did not panic, but was more pissed my dive buddy was no where near me to help me get the tank back on or at least help secure it.

You try holding a tank, while ascending, knowing the reg could be ripped out of my mouth. Well, like it's been told 1000's of times, think, do not panic. So, with my right hand supporting the bottom of the tank behind me and ascending at about a 30-40 angle to kind of keep it on my back, I glided towards shore where I could "beach" myself. Once I reached shore and gathered my gear and beached it all, I see my buddy surface about 50 yards out, unaware of anything that happened, he was taking pics and knew my dive skills, figured I could handle my own once seperated.

I am not upset as basically, I have solo dived as I like to take pictures when other buddys just want to explore.
Lessons learned:
Up until then, I did not pre-wet my BC to help stretch the banding. The reason was the weight pockets were a pain to take in and out, not a reason anymore.
I did not have a back up air supply, I now have a pony bottle.
Don't always assume there will be a buddy to bail you out.
NEVER panic, think out the situation.

If you can think of other advice, for me or other divers please feel free.

One last lesson learned for ALL divers. After a dive last August, it was hot. So I keeped my booties on with just swimming trunks (because of rocks) and dived off a dock. Big mistake as was in about 10 feet of water. I don't know about any of you, but you cannot swim or get any force with booties on. I had to float on my back and use my arms to back peddle the short way back to the shallow end!

Thanks, Scott.

I have about 50 dives under my belt. A few years ago on about my 30th dive or so, I was following a buddy going way too fast for me and lost him in about 40 feet of water, vis about 10'. So, I figured I'd head back about 100 yards to the dock to meet up and head to the suface to see if I could find my buddy, as I started ascending, my tank came out of the harness. I did not panic, but was more pissed my dive buddy was no where near me to help me get the tank back on or at least help secure it.

You try holding a tank, while ascending, knowing the reg could be ripped out of my mouth. Well, like it's been told 1000's of times, think, do not panic. So, with my right hand supporting the bottom of the tank behind me and ascending at about a 30-40 angle to kind of keep it on my back, I glided towards shore where I could "beach" myself. Once I reached shore and gathered my gear and beached it all, I see my buddy surface about 50 yards out, unaware of anything that happened, he was taking pics and knew my dive skills, figured I could handle my own once seperated.

I am not upset as basically, I have solo dived as I like to take pictures when other buddys just want to explore.
Lessons learned:
Up until then, I did not pre-wet my BC to help stretch the banding. The reason was the weight pockets were a pain to take in and out, not a reason anymore.
I did not have a back up air supply, I now have a pony bottle.
Don't always assume there will be a buddy to bail you out.
NEVER panic, think out the situation.

If you can think of other advice, for me or other divers please feel free.

One last lesson learned for ALL divers. After a dive last August, it was hot. So I keeped my booties on with just swimming trunks (because of rocks) and dived off a dock. Big mistake as was in about 10 feet of water. I don't know about any of you, but you cannot swim or get any force with booties on. I had to float on my back and use my arms to back peddle the short way back to the shallow end!

Thanks, Scott.

Not to be terribly Harsh Scott but the only buddy that I would have been angry with would have been the one that mounted my tank in the first place but then again no one touches my gear so I never have to be angry with anyone else other than myself.

Did you talk about a separation plan becasue normally it is wait look around for one or 2 minutes and then ascend and talk it out when you both get to the surface. My buddies and I have an agreed plan that is in place and that is in the event of a buddy separation then it becomes a solo dive and Ill see you at the boat or the car. But that is understood and acceptable with each new buddy otherwise it is back to the If you are separated then look around one minute and then ascend

Basically establish each buddies expectations before the issue comes up

I remember having a SeaQuest BCD with a single tank strap and how much you'd have to wet them and work them to make sure the tank didn't slip. My BP/W has a metal STA and 2 highland tank straps and it just works.

Diving Lake Travis I've experienced how one wrong move can change the VIS to zero and you're buddy is gone. Every dive can end up as a solo dive so bring everything with you cause you can't count on your buddy having the SMB and what not.

This might help:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu.../391300-cam-buckle-assembly-instructions.html

DAN’s Alert Diver Magazine discusses the problem:

Alert Diver | Tips for Safer Boat Diving

5704.jpg

If you don't get a pop from the buckle then try again. My wife's old BC was a single strap rig and held fine, but I taught her to make sure she got that snap when the buckle folded over. A wet strap is nice but it's got to pop.

An articulated separation plan would have made for a more predictable outcome.

Swimming in booties is tough sledding. I got caught in a riptide while body surfing a few years ago and may owe my life to a surfer that brought me back. I had darned little swimming ability with booties on.

Pete

I have a rubber tank grabber (don't know technical name) on my tank strap and it holds the tank in place very well even when strap is very loose. Just a suggestion to prevent tank from slipping out. Sounds like you managed well and did the the right stop--think--act drill and executed a calm ascent. Thanks for the post as it helps remember all the stuff to go over with insta-buddies or friends you don't dive with regularly. I like Herb above always do my equipment set up even when charter operators try to do it for me.

A tank coming lose is about the nicest dive emergency you could have. If you dive solo, removing the BC, fixing the tank and continuing the dive should not be a big deal unless you are in extremely adverse conditions... Glad it worked out..

I have a Scubapro tank cinch, it's never come loose. I have had a malplaced tank a few times and have done exactly what DD said, stopped and adjusted it.

Good diving, Craig

Once my tank strap got its initial stretch, so long as I have to work a bit to close it, I have no issue mounting dry. I do pull it quite tight and have no issues. At the end of every dive where I have mounted dry, it has not just been holding at the end of the dive, it has still been tight.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto. It has 2 straps. I usually do get it wet but have missed it a couple of times. When I throw the buckles I kind of rock the buckle, pull the slack, I do this 3 times for each buckle. I have never had it come loose.

Back
Top Bottom