Tank holder modification to my boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grey2112

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, so I bought my current boat solely for the purpose of deeper sea fishing (vs. my first boat, a 19 foot bayboat) and for diving/spearfishing. I was at a loss for how to modify the boat to carry tanks - I liked the roll control racks I had on my 19 footer, but the wife wanted to keep the padded bolsters we had on the 25 foot boat for fishing and safety/comfort. I didn't care for the rack style holders (too many reports of rust stains) and my PVC solution took up too much room and was heavy.
I had a lot of spare room on the transom behind the rear seats, and thought that might be the way to go.
So, now after some starboard, lots of cutting, screws, and sweat, I have enough storage for 5 tanks, spearguns, and I have room in the berth for 3 more tanks as well as extra space for another 3-4 additional tanks without ever compromising the rear deck so as to keep it clear of obstructions.
I use bungees to secure the tanks just in case of bad chop, but honestly don't even think those are necessary to keep the tanks secure.
It does add a bit of weight to the stern, but judicious use of trim tabs and a powerful Honda engine helps keep that from being an issue.
I dare say most of the divers on my boat so far will agree it is a great solution.
Only problem is the racks at the stern are set up for AL80s - the bigger tanks have to go in the berth.
IMG_00361024x768_zpsf9727ce4.jpg

IMG_00351024x768_zps13848ea5.jpg

IMG_00341024x768_zpsfc8bd69b.jpg

IMG_00331024x768_zpse944f17d.jpg

You don't think that the tank holder (roll control) are too low on the tank to keep the tank secure in bad chop?

Three things going for me there - the box that keeps the tanks in the rack is pretty deep and tight, the plastic holders further up have bungies I put across the tank midway up and keep them very tight, and the rod holders along the back of the bench seating keep the first stage regulators in place if they were to jump up in a bad chop.

I've been out a few times recently since I installed these in a bad chop and everything worked out just fine, though I tend to try and avoid situations like that, I realize that sometimes I will have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom