Tank ID Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post # 5
Old SCUBA tanks make great bells -- amd all TRUE Texicans love their bells

check out the following thread ...
Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

SDM

And Canadians also need SCUBA Bells...long ones..short ones...all sizes of SCUBA bells

You will not believe the number of SCUBA Bells we have in our home and in the Yard-- but we have been making the for 40 years
sdm

Horn...

I know I'm a little late to the party...

It's a steel tank...low pressure...2250 PSI...US Divers...

The photo is not the best...

A lot of these old tanks were manufactured under specific permit numbers which are stamped on the tanks...these permits have long since expired...

You'll need a new valve...the seat and service parts will need to be replaced...it's not worth the service and parts cost even if the service center still has parts available...

The tank may be rusted/pitted inside beyond acceptable limits...

Re-Hydro - $50....Annual Vis - $30...Tumble/Pit Inspection - $30...O2 Clean - $25...Valve - $50...

You're well beyond the scrap value of the tank...at best...it's a $2. yard sale tank...and certainly not worth any shipping costs...

Some shops are now refusing to fill tanks this old...valid stickers or not...In Ontario a lot of shops are now using a 1989 cut-off date for filling ''any'' scuba cylinders...

I would not service it in my shop...

In comparison to most scuba gear except the very basic bits and pieces...''new'' scuba tanks are an ''inexpensive by comparison'' investment...

Check out Dive Gear Express...ordered on line...you'll have your new tank from SE Florida in 24 hours...

For ''good'' used tanks...there should be lots available in the dive shops along the Gulf...

Best...

Warren

I don't agree with most of these points.

First, these are not SP (Special Permit) steel tanks. Those are all HP. This is a 3AA LP tank. We've discussed LP72s before and a forum search will bring up lots and lots of discussion. It is perfectly true that they might be pitted or rusted inside. It's likewise true that they might not, and in my opinion probably are not pitted or rusted beyond the limits. I have a dozen or so and I haven't gotten a bad one yet. From prior discussions, that's typical. And, it's the same story for any used LP steel tank.

Valve parts appear to be available from Home | Vintage Double Hose They probably have the same seat material as anyone else's, and that material (like everyone else's) is not particularly suitable for O2 service. We all use them anyway because it's all there is. *No* scuba valves are ideal for O2 service and that one's no exception. Also, the OP never said he intended to use it for O2 service (including PP blending for Nitrox).

The OP doesn't live in Ontario. Nobody has ever refused to fill my LP72s. I think *all* of them date from before 1989, and all of mine certainly do. I have seen shops that refuse to fill old 3AL tanks, in addition to SP AL tanks, but not 3AA tanks. When I was last at Dive Tech, they had no issues with LP72s. That you would not choose to service them, while fully within your rights, does not make this typical of shops south of the US/Canada border.

New steel tanks ain't cheap, either. The LP72's closest current cousin is the LP85 at $289 (USD) from DGX: Faber LP85 Steel Cylinder - Hot Dip Galvanized which would be $387 Canadian at today's Dollar/Loonie exchange rate, *without* Canadian import duties if you got them in Ontario.

Service price structures likewise vary. I'm paying $25 (USD) for hydros here. When last I checked, the local shop charged closer to $50 for O2 cleaning including tumbling, another $50 for O2 cleaning a valve and replacing its guts (making new Blue Steel valves that come O2 clean competitive), and pit inspections are included in the VIS cost (which I recall was $15).

All that said, it's always a sure bet to buy new. That much, I can agree with...

$65 for an in hydro, in vis, unlined, unrusted, galvanized lp72 is fair
An out of hydro mystery interior lp72 is worth about $5 around here

ps this is not a special permit cylinder

I don't agree with most of these points.

The OP doesn't live in Ontario. Nobody has ever refused to fill my LP72s. I think *all* of them date from before 1989, and all of mine certainly do. I have seen shops that refuse to fill old 3AL tanks, in addition to SP AL tanks, but not 3AA tanks. When I was last at Dive Tech, they had no issues with LP72s. That you would not choose to service them, while fully within your rights, does not make this typical of shops south of the US/Canada border.

As someone who lives in Ontario I'd have to agree with you on this. Not sure where @W W Meixner lives but I shop at a handful of shops in the Southern Ontario area. Some sell used LP72 steels. All of them will fill and service LP72 steels. I see people diving these things all the time and they have current viz and hydro. So there must be shops which service them (I'd imagine Scuba2000 used to when Alec Pierce owned the place).

I've not surveyed numerous shops in the Ontario area but I'd think the norm is that LP72s are still in use by many here.

Back
Top Bottom