Tank inspection certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djdalite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a DIY type of person, I was wondering what the best online/course for becoming certified in tank inspections / doing VIPs myself that will be recognized and valid at LDS's for fills. Ideally have my own stickers made with a certificate # or something along those lines for verification. A quick search led me to SDI and PSI, thoughts?

(Not answering your post caveat)
I think that would fun. Just for the knowledge. But as a heads up, know that some LDS can make their own rules about what VIPs they will honor. And it might make an interesting conversation asking them if they will honor yours. You might want to shop around before investing in the class, if that is the primary reason to get the cert.

Best talk with whatever LDS you get fills from in your area. Some have requirements for info on the VIP sticker. Others don't. Some won't accept tanks VIP'd by individuals. Check before taking the class.

A quick search led me to SDI and PSI, thoughts?
Did a quick search of ScubaBoard lead you to any results? This question has been hashed from every angle under the sun. Personally, if I didn't own my own fill station, I wouldn't bother doing my own inspections. But I do.

Did a quick search of ScubaBoard lead you to any results? This question has been hashed from every angle under the sun. Personally, if I didn't own my own fill station, I wouldn't bother doing my own inspections. But I do.

Some folks I know don't have their own fill stations, but have so many cylinders, it makes financial sense for them to do their own inspections.

Some folks I know don't have their own fill stations, but have so many cylinders, it makes financial sense for them to do their own inspections.
As you said, as long as your shop accepts them, fantastic. My mileage varies, and I still inspect cylinders professionally.

I don't own my own fill station, I just have a interest in doing my own inspections, maybe friends as well. I have 6 cylinders, 4 hp100's, 2 hp80's. I also have 3 reg sets. I guess its just my mentality of DIY and teaching, i teach pilots. If i had time and money I would probably get every cert worth getting that SDI/TDI offers.

I would think it would make sense to have a relationship with whatever shop im using to fill so they are comfortable with my own VIPs

I don't own my own fill station, I just have a interest in doing my own inspections, maybe friends as well. I have 6 cylinders, 4 hp100's, 2 hp80's. I also have 3 reg sets. I guess its just my mentality of DIY and teaching, i teach pilots. If i had time and money I would probably get every cert worth getting that SDI/TDI offers.

I would think it would make sense to have a relationship with whatever shop im using to fill so they are comfortable with my own VIPs
Well, if you did own your own fill station, you probably wouldn't bother doing VIPs as you know the quality of the air you are getting....

Just because a shop is familiar with you, it doesn't mean they will be comfortable with you doing your own VIPs. The shop I frequent had one thing on their website, but I was told something that didn't quite match with what was on their website. If you're not the owner of the tanks, they require a copy of the inspection sheet when tanks go to get filled. I was going to do a buddy's tanks. Decided not to. It was too much of a headache. When I needed tanks inspected recently, I didn't do them myself. It was just easier to have the shop do them.

Back
Top Bottom