Tank inspection certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you did own your own fill station, you probably wouldn't bother doing VIPs as you know the quality of the air you are getting....
Yeah, but I bet you peek into your own cylinders before filling them. Your post kind of sounds like Normalization of deviance - Wikipedia.

Not looking for a fight, but divers new to doing their own VIP's may see this as an excuse to dis VIP's entirely and just go with the mandatory hydros...

Yeah, but I bet you peek into your own cylinders before filling them. Your post kind of sounds like Normalization of deviance - Wikipedia.

Not looking for a fight, but divers new to doing their own VIP's may see this as an excuse to dis VIP's entirely and just go with the mandatory hydros...
Gotta replace the neck O-rings annually, right?

If a person really had the desire and/or the tank count to make it pay back, I wonder how diligent the average tank monkey would be if an inspector happened to inspect for a privately held welding llc. VIP stickers wouldn't read "Jim Smith's VIP services" but rather something akin to "ArcLite Sales and Testing." I have no idea what forming an llc or similar costs. No idea on custom sticker costs. Just random thoughts on how to grease the system in a above board, if not slightly smoke and mirrors, way. With all VIP inspector certifications attained correctly. Seems like a lot of work but if we're gaming the system, we're into the game.

If a person really had the desire and/or the tank count to make it pay back, I wonder how diligent the average tank monkey would be if an inspector happened to inspect for a privately held welding llc. VIP stickers wouldn't read "Jim Smith's VIP services" but rather something akin to "ArcLite Sales and Testing." I have no idea what forming an llc or similar costs. No idea on custom sticker costs. Just random thoughts on how to grease the system in a above board, if not slightly smoke and mirrors, way. With all VIP inspector certifications attained correctly. Seems like a lot of work but if we're gaming the system, we're into the game.

Some LDS request to see your VIP cert card (mine does).

Some LDS request to see your VIP cert card (mine does).
but it isn't my cert card, so to speak.....it is from "Arclite" My LDS didn't ask for a cert card from me when I had mine VIPed by one of the welding shops in town. That was why I was wondering how many tank monkey's would research welding shops on a VIP sticker. Granted, this would really only have a decent chance of success in a larger metropolitan area. But I've had a couple of mine filled while traveling and I can't imagine FL shops doing google searches on Houston welding providers. Maybe they would or do.

but it isn't my cert card, so to speak.....it is from "Arclite" My LDS didn't ask for a cert card from me when I had mine VIPed by one of the welding shops in town. That was why I was wondering how many tank monkey's would research welding shops on a VIP sticker. Granted, this would really only have a decent chance of success in a larger metropolitan area. But I've had a couple of mine filled while traveling and I can't imagine FL shops doing google searches on Houston welding providers. Maybe they would or do.

I was just presenting the possibility of what might happen given what some shops *do* require.

I was just presenting the possibility of what might happen given what some shops *do* require.

And I wasn't trying to shoot you down. If the tank monkey actually googled and couldn't find a physical address or something for "Arclite" I could see questions being asked. But with my welding shop VIPs I really doubt that they checked or had time to check. I dunno. As I said, it would be a lot of work even if a person could pull it off.

either psi or sdi certs are good psi is usually more expensive .......ask your lds they can be pissy about it .......psi cant make the dive shop except your ticket sdi/tdi has some pull if they cert those c cards

Why are welding shops doing VIPS?
My welding gas place: 1) Does not do VIPs at all, a completely foreign concept to them. They are a reseller for airgas. 2) They are not an authorized retester so their VIPs wouldn't be accepted under the CFRs anyway 3) Gas supply tanks are VIPed on either a 5 or a 10 year schedule, at the time of hydro, they definitely aren't removing those valves annually

Annual visuals are a scuba industry thing (in part because tanks are used while submerged).

my guess is the owner is a diver, inspecting their own tanks, and claiming the cert renewal fees as a business expense. so might as well offer it as a service and make a few bucks. one of the local hydro facilities does visual stickers because of this situation.

Back
Top Bottom