Tank Manufacturer Preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comp.Air.Junkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any there certain brands of tanks that are preferred? Or is a tank just a tank? Any manufacturers to stay away from?

Aluminum or Steel? In the US, the two you'll see most often for Aluminum are Luxfer and Catalina, both are very good quality. For steel, it's Worthington and Faber. All of those 4 make good quality cylinders, and you are going to get a good product from any of them.

Jim

Interesting question. I doubt there are any currently manufactured tanks or brands to avoid. You need to decide what diving you intend to do and how much you want to spend. IMHO. steel tanks are better than aluminum as steel is stronger. Do not buy any pre-1990 aluminum tanks. A lot of aluminum tanks made from 1982-1989 were made of an alloy (T6351) that occasionally exploded when they were not adequately serviced/checked. There is a DOT warning on these batches. Some shops in the NE will not fill or review these tanks. Steel is stronger, requires less lead on your waist, but costs more. I have steel tanks from 1957 that are still in good shape.

Hope this helps - Tom

If you're looking at older (used) tanks, Luxfer had some that had issues with cracks in the neck around the threaded area. I think it was tanks made from around '85 and older but don't quote me on that.

Good point Tom on the long life of steel, I have a set of double tanks that are almost twice my age that I dive regularly.

Catalina.

Here are some points of notice:
Aluminum

Catalina tanks ate more bottom heavy then Luxfers. That means (at least to me) that Luxfrers are preferred for stage/deco tanks and Caralinas would be preferred for back gas (That's if one is willing to say that any Al tank is preferred for backgas)

There is the issue of neck racks already mentioned.

Steel:

Older Faber tanks (which were also rebranded as OMS and some other brands), the ones which were painted in grey had (in my opinion but shared by many people) had inferior corrosion protection, especially on the interior. Modern Fabers (the white ones) seemed to have solved this problem.

As a last note, all painted tanks will eventually get their paint scratched up. For al tanks, that means nothing in terms of durability of the tank. For steels which have he corrosion protectant sprayed on, who knows, but I have decided not to experiment.

I love hot dip galvanization (Wothington and PST)
Stas

If you're looking at older (used) tanks, Luxfer had some that had issues with cracks in the neck around the threaded area. I think it was tanks made from around '85 and older but don't quote me on that.

'88 it was........

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to buy a couple new tanks. I stopped at a dive shop I don't go to regularly and they said they were out. They were going to order more in. I asked what brand they were (not that I knew which were good or bad) and they responded by "Does it matter?" I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said I don't guess so. I just don't want to pay a big brand name price for a lesser known brand that might have issues, padding the pocket of the dive shop. BTW I understand that dive shops need to make money too to stay in business.

I asked what brand they were (not that I knew which were good or bad) and they responded by "Does it matter?" .

Does it matter? on a new tank now, not really.

But sounds like a cocky attitude at that shop. you shouldn't have to deal with that.

Alum tanks by catalina or Luxfer are about equal in my mind.

anway, as for Faber vs Worthington, most folks will agree that the Worthington's have a better exterior coating (galvanized) and a better valve (thermo pro valve).

The new Fabers are painted. Nothing wrong with that, but the galvanized is just a little better. They also come with a San-o-sub valve which is not as good as the thermo, on my opinion.

However, you can often pick up the Fabers on sale for $100 bucks less (or more) than the cost of a Worthington. When buying two tanks, that means a $200 savings. Worthington (or XS Scuba) rarely has any type of sale on their tanks... That's why a lot of us have a Faber tank.

I've got a Faber tank and it works just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom