• Tank vertical in rack

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Tank in side position valve to curb side

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Tank in side position valve to oncoming traffic side

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Littlerayray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok here's a question
And I don't want to start a war but I probably will
There are many reasons for the way tanks are shipped
I'm curious as to how the majority ship their tanks and why me I ship with valves to rear or standing up in rack
That way if there's a rear end accident the block of my vehicle will slow down the potential missile and harm me rather then an innocent bystander

One of my clicked 2 choices was "vertical in rack". Well, I have no such rack and if it was wooden (not welded, steel or alu) I might wonder about it's integrity in a crash... but I clicked the choice, because the few times I transported tanks a long distance, I strapped them standing up to the back of the front seat / seats. Seemed the safest way to transport them with what I had.

in the truck valve facing rear in a rack horizontal.

I suspect a rack to be best if you have it (I am making one for my tanks) but if not why would you want a rocketing tank to shoot toward the vehicle's driver and passenger? There is a whole lot more unoccupied empty space outside a vehicle than inside for a rocketing tank to exhaust itself in.

Though honestly I really doubt it matters. A tank is not going through a steel car side without a long runway to get up to speed. The real issue to my mind is protecting the valves and securing the tanks in place, and however you can best accomplish that is the best way to transport tanks in my opinion.

valves back laying down is 99% of the time because it is most convenient. You are more likely to have the objects going forwards so they will be less likely to damage anything with the butts up against something.
There is no reason to worry about valves shearing though.

I would store vertically, but racks for that many tanks are difficult to make so we lay them down across the width of the vehicle and stack as necessary

Depends on the number of cylinders I’m hauling.
Four to eight they lay flat on the truck bed against the headboard with valves facing the tailgate, handles down and bags on top or up against the valves.
More than that and they are vertical against the headboard in racks or strapped down using a couple ratchet straps.

I put my valves facing forward. In the event of a rear-end collision that breaks the valve, the tank will be propelled in the direction of the car that hit me.

I have my BC (weight integrated, 20 pounds) on my tank in the trunk of my van with the valve pointed toward the front. But, with my plastic gear bin between it and the seat, the tank ain't going anywhere. My weight belt and other stuff is on the side of the rig as well, so it's blocked in on all sides. If I have a second tank to switch out, it goes behind the driver's seat on the floor--between the back of the drivers seat and the front of the back seat. It is also wrapped in a blanket or coat to keep it from rolling. There are various other ways I have wrapped and pinned as many as my 4 tanks to keep them from rolling when I go in for fills. I just haven't bothered to look into the tank rack thing, and don't want to spend the money. I figure if I'm ever in an accident that's so bad that my tanks may hit me, I've got a lot more to worry about than that.

20170922_163410.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom