Tank position for Trim vs Added Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When I dive dry in order to be properly trimed without carrying any extra weight, I have my steel doubles so low on my bp that I can't reach the valves without going head down and pulling the tanks towards my head. I haven't dove my current rig wet yet so I am not sure how much higher I can get my tanks and stay trimmed.

I know I have to be able to reach the valves and that its also important not to be over weighted. But I could move my tanks up and then add weight to correct the trim problem? What are the thoughts on this one?

And I am doing the stretches that are listed in the various threads here. I am also working on loosing the 20 extra pounds that I have added on in the second half of my life.

Cheers

Gilless:
When I dive dry in order to be properly trimed without carrying any extra weight, I have my steel doubles so low on my bp that I can't reach the valves without going head down and pulling the tanks towards my head. I haven't dove my current rig wet yet so I am not sure how much higher I can get my tanks and stay trimmed.

I know I have to be able to reach the valves and that its also important not to be over weighted. But I could move my tanks up and then add weight to correct the trim problem? What are the thoughts on this one?

And I am doing the stretches that are listed in the various threads here. I am also working on loosing the 20 extra pounds that I have added on in the second half of my life.

Cheers
Hard to tell much from a single photo, but by looking at your profile pic, I have a couple of suggestions.

-Fins with some inherant negative buoyancy, like jets. Your yellow twin jets are rather floaty.
-What angle are you holding your lower legs? When horizontal, "neutral" position would be a straight line through your torso to your knees, and knees at 90 degs, ankles at 90degs, fins flat. If you are still feeling head heavy, straighten your knees a little more.

Thanks Mer, actually I don't dive the rig that I have on in the profile photo. I have a Zeagle al BP with mini-bertha wing (Double #55 bladders) super rocket fins, double steel 100's and a zeagle dry suit (made by otter out of the UK for Zeagle). Someday I will get a more recent photo to post.

Cheers

Gilless:

Cheers

Gilless, what sort of weigth do you use? A belt or a V-weight?

D.

Greetings Doxa, I currently do not wear any weights. But since this post I have improved my stretching to wear I could move my tanks up a bit and can reach them at least from a wetsuit. Still working on getting to them in the dry suit

Cheers

Steve

Gilless:

Cheers

Move the tanks up and add a tail-weight. Priority #1 is reaching the valves. When you can't do that then you're exposing yourself to unacceptable risk. Redundancy only works if you can "get to it".

And be practical about it. Turning the valves isn't something we do to impress women or other divers. Turning the valves is something we do to live. You need to be able to do your valve drills in less than a minute or you're (hypothetically) dead. If you can't do it in 30 seconds you need to improve improve improve. If you need to pitch forward and push your tanks up to grab them then pitch (bloody) forward and push them (bloody) up to get them. Effectiveness comes *way* before style. Time matters. The rest of the world can roast their wiener on how it looks. You'll acquire style with time. Right now you need effectiveness.

At least the way I see it.

R..

Giless,

With a v-weight you can move your tank up and correct your (horizontal) position. If you drill several holes in your V-weight, depending on your position you can:
- move the weight upward to lower your head
- move the weight downward to lower your legs.

Btw how can you keep under with a drysuit without weights?

Gr.,
D.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom