Tank Purchase Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few pounds won't make a bit of difference for a person with spinal issues.

Simple solution: don't shore dive.

A few pounds won't make a bit of difference for a person with spinal issues.

Simple solution: don't shore dive.
Really?? What is your experience in this??

Really?? What is your experience in this??

Personal experience, slipped a disc many years ago.

The threshold for sciatic back pain IME is not a fine line. I'm lucky that a single tank rig up to HP120 is well below my threshold with plenty of fudge factor. It wouldn't be the case if I were a smaller person.

If I'm lifting other stuff, non-dive related, I know when I'm over my limit. The rest of my body can handle 2X as much weight as my back. I've had to learn this the hard way. If I were to dive doubles, I think I'd have trouble in a shore dive. Boat dive, no problem.

we are all different, stl 120 would kill me. Had laminectomy years ago for sciatica.
For me 2 - 5 lbs can be huge diff. in comfort, and ability to carry

Need to buy my wife a "light" tank...she has some lower back problems and I'm wondering if there is a lighter weight alternative to the kinda standard aluminum 80s that we use. I've found these with a search http://www.carbondive.com/en/single-cylinders but can't find any pricing info on them. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I would suggest buying her a LP72. They are 26 lbs empty, neutral, and you can find them for a very low price. In fact, if you want to make a trip to San Antonio, I have a couple in hydro with decent valves I'd be happy to let go for $50 each. I'm not sure if you are familiar with LP72s, they used to be the standard for diving but haven't been made in years. So you have to find them used. It doesn't matter; if they're in good shape they'll last several decades at the least.

In terms of currently made tanks that you can buy new, the AL63 is probably about the closest thing. They have a slightly lower capacity, are comparable in terms of weight but they are positive empty so you need to carry a few lbs of lead to compensate. I have one of those (pink!) that I'd also sell. I'm not doing much local diving these days and wouldn't mind clearing out a few tanks.

I think composite tanks must be condemned every 15 years and need a hydro every 3 years. Might want to verify that. Also they are a lot more expensive. You get used to the tank weight.

Back
Top Bottom