Tank Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have 3 steel Faber 80 tanks and would like someone to verify what I own.

My confusion stems from the Optimal Buoyancy spreadsheet that shows Faber HP80's as having a working pressure of 3498 PSI.

Along with all the other numbers the tanks say they are XS Scuba HP80 with a working pressure of 3442 PSI.

These are Faber HP80's as the label says correct? Just rebranded by XS Scuba? Or, are these Faber FX80's rebranded XS Scuba HP80's given the 3442 working pressure?

Thanks for setting me straight.

upload_2019-8-14_20-35-27.png

They are made by Faber, co-branded for XS Scuba. If you are trying to resolve a 6psi spec variance, I don't see the point. (no one call fill to that precision)
Regardless of what a spec sheet says, the working pressure of a cylinder is what is stamped on it. Maybe the specs on the XS Scuba site will help you resolve any other questions.

faber used to have some weird 3180 psi 3AA tanks that were 3498 with the 10% +rating overfill. They aren't that common though

those mid pressure tanks are much more negatively buoyant than the newer exemption 3442 tanks

of note to you @HKGuns that you don't want to use the buoyancy on those medium pressure tanks. Those are something like 7lbs negative vs 0-2lbs negative so you'll know if you're looking at those

They are made by Faber, co-branded for XS Scuba. If you are trying to resolve a 6psi spec variance, I don't see the point. (no one call fill to that precision)
Regardless of what a spec sheet says, the working pressure of a cylinder is what is stamped on it. Maybe the specs on the XS Scuba site will help you resolve any other questions.

No, I am using the Optimal Buoyancy spreadsheet and picking the right tank is essential to getting your estimated weighting correct.

FX80's are 1.74 pounds negatively buoyant @ 0 PSI
HP80's are 7.22 pounds negatively buoyant @ 0 PSI

Throws the proper weight calculations off by a considerable amount and I'm a newb.....Sinking to the bottom of the lake like a rock isn't something I would enjoy!

of note to you @HKGuns that you don't want to use the buoyancy on those medium pressure tanks. Those are something like 7lbs negative vs 0-2lbs negative so you'll know if you're looking at those

This tells me I likely need to select the FX80 on that spreadsheet based on your numbers and the numbers I posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom