Tank Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to build a strong and versatile tank rack that can be used in my boat and truck. I used a ½” thick schedule 80 PVC pipe that was 7” ID. I cut the pipe into 3” bands and then removed 30% of the ring. I then tooled the edges smooth and mounted it to a ½” plywood surface laminated with an aluminum face. I used treated 2x4 blocking on the back side of the plywood and screwed the C brackets to the board and lumber using #14 x 2” SS screws. The screws are recessed into the PVC and will not come in contact with the tank. The rack can be mounted vertical or horizontal and now can be used where ever I transport my tanks. The PVC pipe will open enough to allow the tank to snap in securely. I can actually hold the mounting plate upside down with the tanks in place and they will stay put. I have extra PVC rings cut for future rack projects or will sell them to some who wants to build a rack like mine.

Very nice! One suggestion (yep there's always one moron wanting to add his .02). replace the ply with starboard. It won't chip if it gets dinged or seperate if it gets soaked.

I haven't seen a rack that fine since I left South Beach. I'd be more worried about someone stealing my tank rack out of the back of my truck than my tanks.

Tom,

My solution to your concern is to attach the 300# ships anchor to the back side. Just kidding of course. I'm actually working on a design to secure spare tanks with a lock and key system. The thought of loosing some of my E-130's while doing a shore dive is one issue. I always stash my spare tanks in the locked cab while down under.

NWhiz,

Thanks for the suggestion. With all the great minds that frequent the DIY, I'm sure we can build a better mouse trap. I used the cladded plywood because I had some left over from other projects. I designed the tank back plate size so that I can stack multiple units on each other for storage during my long SI. Right now I can stack six tanks togeather in pairs and it makes a nice stable tank storage in my garage.

I also use the same size C brackets for AL-80's. I used a foam pad inside the tank clamp to reduce the ID of the bracket.

I've been trying to make something like this for a year, well done! My only question - where did you find the 7" pvc?

grilla:
I've been trying to make something like this for a year, well done! My only question - where did you find the 7" pvc?

Look around town for new construction sites, especially new subdivisions that will have public utilities (water & sewer). Ask the contractor if you can grab some scrap PVC pieces cutoff from the pipe. The bright blue (sometimes white) PVC water pipe is pressure rated and very thick walled. The PVC sewer pipe will be green in color and have a much thinner wall. 8" PVC is very common for both on subdivision projects. Be sure and ask the guys working there first. They should be more than happy for you to take a couple of the short cutoffs so they don't have to dispose of them.

WD

I meant to add that 8" is a nominal size classification. It will have an ID of around 7".

WD

Struck out with the new home development idea but hit the motherlode with an old friend who is a plumber and does quite a bit of commercial work. Thanks again

Don

Back
Top Bottom