Tank Trim Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have discovered that to correct my sinking feet I need to move some weight up towards my shoulders. I experimented the other day with hard weights on a cam band up around my tank strap and the results were amazing. Now I am looking for a permanent solution. My BC is not weight integrated and does not have trim pockets. I have seen straps that go through the BC and around the tank in the same area as the tank strap with trim weight pockets on them. This is what I am looking for, but for whatever reason I cannot seem to find them searching around the web. I can find pockets designed to go directly on the cam band, but I do not want to use those. That strap has one important job, and I see no reason to give it another when there is another option available. Can someone point me in the right direction? I sure they have been right under my nose the entire time, but I cant find them.

Use a third camband and put the weights on it, plain old lead weights, route it around the tank only. N

I have discovered that to correct my sinking feet I need to move some weight up towards my shoulders. I experimented the other day with hard weights on a cam band up around my tank strap and the results were amazing. Now I am looking for a permanent solution. My BC is not weight integrated and does not have trim pockets. I have seen straps that go through the BC and around the tank in the same area as the tank strap with trim weight pockets on them. This is what I am looking for, but for whatever reason I cannot seem to find them searching around the web. I can find pockets designed to go directly on the cam band, but I do not want to use those. That strap has one important job, and I see no reason to give it another when there is another option available. Can someone point me in the right direction? I sure they have been right under my nose the entire time, but I cant find them.

What BC are you using?

I'm confused as to what the problem is with mounting them on the cam bands. It's not adding a failure mode by any reasonable estimation.

Use a third camband and put the weights on it, plain old lead weights, route it around the tank only. N

Failure? Maybe not per-se, but hard to drop. Also an issue while thrashing around in a small dive boat. A tank band is relatively easy to thread over a new tank. If you hang two pieces of lead on it, it becomes something akin to wrestling a pig.

Or you can actually make them "kind-of" ditchable by using this method: Homemade Scuba Weight Pockets

A keel weight will position it up high and on the back of the tank, a way to leverage using a smaller weight to your advatage. Halcyon: MC Weighting Systems

Really lazy? Use ankle weight rings around the tank nipple. Great deal on ANKLE WEIGHTS 3.3 from Divers-Supply.com

Failure? Maybe not per-se, but hard to drop. Also an issue while thrashing around in a small dive boat. A tank band is relatively easy to thread over a new tank. If you hang two pieces of lead on it, it becomes something akin to wrestling a pig.

Or you can actually make them "kind-of" ditchable by using this method: Homemade Scuba Weight Pockets

A keel weight will position it up high and on the back of the tank, a way to leverage using a smaller weight to your advatage. Halcyon: MC Weighting Systems

Really lazy? Use ankle weight rings around the tank nipple. Great deal on ANKLE WEIGHTS 3.3 from Divers-Supply.com

I thought we were talking about a few pounds of trim weights, not enough weight to ballast a dry suit:confused: Four to six pounds on camband are hardly wrestling a pig. BUT, thank you for that link, very nice idea.

N

XS Scuba Weight Pockets are $8 each. You could leave the weights out of the weight pockets until you had the BC switched over to the other tank if the change over was too much hassle with the weights in.

You didn't ask, but that's why I use a 6 lb. steel backplate instead of a "traditional BC".

What BC are you using?

I am not sure my BC even has a model. It is a basic Seaquest. No Bells and and whistles, just and air bladder a tank strap and a few pockets. Its jacket Style. It was priced right for entry level, and I have managed well enough that I spent any money I had for new gear on stuff for my wife when she certified. She has much nicer stuff than me, but it sure is nice having a live in dive buddy.:D

I'm confused as to what the problem is with mounting them on the cam bands. It's not adding a failure mode by any reasonable estimation.

I suppose there is not any real problem although this might be debatable, I have been around Boats, and the Marine Industry most of my life. When I wasn't I was around Airplanes. I have an engrained lesson that if anything is really really important, and you dont have to over stress it dont. My own hang up more than anything I guess.

I have seen a BC that had a smaller strap, maybe 1"?, with two weight pouches on it that strapped around the tank along with the Cam Band. It is possible that this was a built in feature of the BC, but I dont think so. If this is something that can be added aftermarket it is the way I would like to go. I just cant seem to find one. If I cant I will just add another Cam Band that goes around the tank, but not through the BC. This is how it was rigged when I tried the setup. It just seemed it would be easier if the weight was on the BC not the tank when it comes time to change tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom