Tank without DOT stamp - useless in US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melicertes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently had a friend of mine bring my favorite 15L steel tank from South Africa to the US. When I moved to the States I decided to leave it in storage because of weight restrictions and I decided to have it brought over a couple of weeks ago because it saves me from having to buy another tank here in the US; I already own a couple locally bought aluminums but having an extra tank handy is always great. The problem now is however that my LDS told me that without a US DOT stamp on the tank nobody would touch the tank. No hydros, no fills, no way, no how. Am I now sitting with a useless tank here in the US that's only good for use as a door stop?

Although I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind the Dept of Transport wanting to uphold certain manufacturing standards in the US for goods like high pressure compressed air tanks, I'm really peeved about not being able to use my trusty old tank now.

Can anybody confirm whether I should be able to get my tank hydro tested and filled here in the US or not, or is my LDS just a PITA?

If it turns out that its a hot potato that nobody wants to touch then I guess I'll have to find another way to now get rid of it, not that I'd know what anybody would want to do with it if they too can't get it filled here in the US. Maybe I'll donate it to the Mythbusters guys :coffee:

Doorstop.

From what I understand, having seen a few of these threads over time, no one with any liability concerns (read: most LDSs and boats) will fill it. You could always buy your own compressor, but that seems a little extreme. Just buy another tank and be done with it... sell yours back overseas, perhaps.

Yup ... no shop or hydro facility will do anything with it. That said if you have your own compressor you can fill it yourself. Might as well send it back with your mate.

I should add it is possible to get a cylinder validated but it is not worth the cost.

It looks like you have already found the answer to your question.

Thanks for the replies. It seems it's now an eBay issue. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom