Tanks stored empty for several years, what are the chances they'll pass hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am unclear what negative effect leaving them empty for an extended period would have, please explain your concerns.

I don't know what the issues would be, hence the post, but I have had the 'store with a min of 500psi' drummed into me since day 1 of open water

With Al tanks it is more important to check to see if they are the "bad" alloy, as they are more expensive to maintain, and some shops won't will them regarregardless. Is my cylinder made from the "bad" alloy aka AL6351?
In my area, there are a supprizing number of these on Craigslist some are VE and some are not. Some of the sellers are clawless about they are selling, others are trying to pull a fast one.

thank you that's REALLY helpful!

the price is contingent on passing hydro, but hydro for two tanks is $130, not sure what happens to the hydro fee if they fail

I'd start shopping, around here hydro is about $30 and vis is $15.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom