tapered HP port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That o-ring looks fatter than the one I used. I also have an o-ring on both sides of the washer. The reg came with a splitter. I am going to keep it for another reg if I need it. Those pics help greatly, thanks!

No O ring on the hose side of the washer just the 1stg side.

Besides, there would then be some corrosion potential simply because of the dissimilar metals.

SeaRat

The corrosion would come from direct exposure to the sea water. Dissimilar metals would not come into the equation. The regulator is chrome on brass already, and brass is mostly copper.

I have a stem gause and never thought to disassemble it. Thanks for the pictures.

The corrosion would come from direct exposure to the sea water. Dissimilar metals would not come into the equation. The regulator is chrome on brass already, and brass is mostly copper.

I have a stem gause and never thought to disassemble it. Thanks for the pictures.
You seem to be right about incompatibilities, although my book, Genium's Handbook of Safety, Health, and Environmental Data for common hazardous substances states that for copper,
Reactivity: Stable. Hazardous polymerization can occur, on long standing a white highly explosive peroxide deposit may form. Avoid: prolonged exposure to air and moisture. Incompatible with:...chlorine...Hazardous decompositino prducts: metallic oxides; copper fumes...

However, looking at the following site, it appears that the galvanic index is 0.35V for copper/nickle-chrome alloys:

Galvanic and Corrosion Compatibility Dissimilar Metal Corrosion - Engineers Edge

This site states that for harsh environments, the galvanic index should be kept below 0.15V. I think immersion in salt water, and subsequent air exposure, would qualify for the title "harsh environment."

Thanks for the comment on the photos; that was the first time I had looked at the stem gauge too. This has been a fun process.

SeaRat

That is good advice at 120 PSI; I suggest a little more engineering analysis at 3000 PSI. The good news is a catastrophic failure anywhere in the HP gauge system will probably not kill you since the hole drilled from the port to the supply is pretty tiny — unless there is not enough thread engaged and the fitting becomes a projectile.

If the plastic disc is too thin it can extrude, too thick and not enough engaged threads. There comes a point where $80 for a new fist stage starts to make sense. These are only observations to consider.

Look burst disc Poseidon reg. Absolutely no soup for ANY of you.

knowone,

I never said your solution would not work, only that US Divers Co. had a different solution with on O-ring behind a washer. It's working on two of my regulators.

SeaRat

John. It is difficult to fathom why on such an attractive reg as yours, the designers at USD in their wisdom, made a half inch pin gauge sealed by a washer - o ring. It reminds me of a farmer fix. There may well have been a staff reshuffle that led to the manufacture of a five eights nut plug - o ring which would obviously seal without a washer. The countersink idea although satisfactory, for tank necks, is not ideal, certainly if the o ring is to often frozen due to air dumping for nitrox fills etc. I don't remember seeing it much on regs. Your posts are analytical and precise, a step by step procedure even if somewhat cootish. I can hear the cogs turning. Had the dilly dallying continued I would have suggested brazing. To future writings and readings and fiddling. Emil.

I have some older hoses that are milled tight at their base (Where they meet the body) and the nut portion is only a small portion towards the top of the hose. The probelm is these are old hoses and they have been replaced because of leaking... otherwise you would be welcome to one. Im sure others exist... I think they orifionally came from Tusa?

I have some older hoses that are milled tight at their base (Where they meet the body) and the nut portion is only a small portion towards the top of the hose. The probelm is these are old hoses and they have been replaced because of leaking... otherwise you would be welcome to one. Im sure others exist... I think they orifionally came from Tusa?

Take that old hose to a industrial hose outlet and they can swage the fitting onto a new HP or LP hose.............I've done this with several types of hose fittings.......these hoses used by the diving industry are not diving industry specific...........IE: other uses are out there...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom