Task over-loading and diver safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week, I went lobstering with new fins. In the first dive, 80 percent of my brain was utilized in adjusting to the stiff fins - which felt like your ten speed bike got stuck in a high gear ALL the time. Learning to maneuver it, turn, frog kick etc just wasn’t right. I did not see a lobster and others did. If you were my buddy and out of air - too bad! I didn’t see you! But that brings up the fact that I have dove the same configuration for over 100 dives - and lobstering for the same... one change and I became a risky diver to myself and others.

Which bring my next point: one should never change their configuration more than one at a time. And never in a new environment. It shocks me to see newly certified divers with cameras, lobster net, spears , etc. First- they are a danger to themselves. Second they are a danger to their buddy. I think one should always think of task loading- the capacity of the brain to process information underwater is very poor. A different environment- night diving for the first or second time with a light- should negate the carry along camera, lobster stick, or spear. I do not think that instructors should encourage their students to carry a camera in their OW or AOW dives. That extra dangle is just enough to detract from their limited attention and they will miss many key learning experiences. I have seen this happen more than once - and I do not feel the students with the camera was a capable diver after his class.

I do not think that instructors should encourage their students to carry a camera in their OW or AOW dives.
Every instructor I know disallows cameras on most non-photography training dives, but especially on OW.

Every instructor I know disallows cameras on most non-photography training dives, but especially on OW.
I am not going to name the location, but it is a river. Slow flowing but still questionable for OW training. Two students with the worse buoyancy skills ever snapping pictures.. falling behind in the current. They did two dives off 1 tank and did si on a log on the bank. I don’t think anyone from such class could be ready for real diving. But - that is all I can say. Agency would not matter here. It was simply a bad instructor.

I am not going to name the location, but it is a river. Slow flowing but still questionable for OW training. Two students with the worse buoyancy skills ever snapping pictures.. falling behind in the current. They did two dives off 1 tank and did si on a log on the bank. I don’t think anyone from such class could be ready for real diving. But - that is all I can say. Agency would not matter here. It was simply a bad instructor.
And it sounds like the class was not following standards. So you can choose to step aside, and let it continue, or report the incident to the relevant agency, and maybe save some future divers.

Sometimes it is not worth it. World is too small. I have assisted as DM student where the instructor squeezed 5 dives in one day for aow. I think the student was cheated of the experience. I don’t think it is allowed. But this shallow river dive for ow was not even as good as a large pool for ow training. Unfortunately I tagged along for a testing of my solo certification. And the instructor really didn’t teach me squat during the whole day! Wasted money!

Sometimes it is not worth it. World is too small. I have assisted as DM student where the instructor squeezed 5 dives in one day for aow. I think the student was cheated of the experience. I don’t think it is allowed. But this shallow river dive for ow was not even as good as a large pool for ow training. Unfortunately I tagged along for a testing of my solo certification. And the instructor really didn’t teach me squat during the whole day! Wasted money!
So you've witnessed instruction not to standards previously too.
And you say it is not worth reporting.
Then perhaps you shouldn't go around posting about how much you dislike poor instruction....after all, you are encouraging it.

When you have faced repercussion in life for speaking out... you learn to keep your mouth shut. Been both in the mililtary and now in the government... Life is not worth the headache as a complainer.... As a DM student... my certificate was dependent on the instructor's rating... I learned alot from the class. But who am I to judge? The second case... I was farmed out to another shop to finish the certification. I do not even recall the instructor's name, nor known what agency he was teaching the OW under. You learn not to make enemies in life... I have learned it the hardway... and experience say it is better to keep silent at times. Too many people with guns in this country.

OP, Be thankful you can legally catch lobsters without a "lobster fishing" commercial license like up here in Canada.
Not making enemies in life is good--I know that as a retired teacher.
Too many people with guns in this country... (assume you mean the good old USA). Yeah, maybe--unless you live in the Bronx or downtown Yonkers perhaps.
As a DM you should have reported the sub-standard stuff you saw.

I am pretty sure that even if you reported this anonymously and an association got many complaints from one shop they would at least send a warning email ?

Back
Top Bottom