Tattoo in drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Young33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm not sure if this is best forum, but if need be move it to a new forum mods.

anyway, I'm getting another tattoo this week down my spine and am wondering what you guys think about diving? Everything I looked up talked about being wet, but obviously my back won't be getting wet in a dry suit. So will I be ok to dive after a week or so, since it won't be wet? Or should I be worried about the tank/bc rubbing my back?

Thanks

As long as the ink is intact and moist it should be fine in a drysuit. If it has been allowed to dry out and any scabs have formed, that may very well damaged the art if rubbed wrong.

Keep it bandaged and moist (bacitracin is your friend)!

It will likely rub on your back and could tear out any scabs and disrupt proper healing. This is a chance of infection due to flooding or increased perspiration by your spine. You spent the money on new ink, don't wreck it. Sometimes I've had my tattoos heal in 7 days, but its usually more like 10 to 15. If you end up with some scabs from healing and tear them off from friction, sometimes that carries some ink with it and creates light spots or worse, scar points that cannot be covered in the future. My 2 cents FWIW.

Thanks guys, now generally speaking though once proper healing has taken place: will I be able to dive sooner dry than in a wet suit? In theory anyways?

Heya, I've dived dry with a tattoo less than 24 hours old. My advice is to wrap it in cling film before suiting up, making sure to apply whatever ointment they tell you to use in the US before wrapping it. It will be fine. In between dives, unwrap it, give it a clean and re-wrap before the dive.

I am not an ink guy but appreciate the art form. What makes this dive so important to risk damage to the healing of the tattoo?

Just an interesting aside..I had a tatu done the traditional way in French Polynesia and the first thing the guy said was walk across the road let salt water get on it. I dont think you will do any damage to your tattoo. Most of mine ive dived within a week with.

I have never allowed any 'healing' time with my tattoos done during our time living in Bali, as I would be guiding/teaching the following day, so I needed to get straight back into the water. None of my inkings have suffered from instant wetsuit wear.

I'm not sure if this is best forum, but if need be move it to a new forum mods.

anyway, I'm getting another tattoo this week down my spine and am wondering what you guys think about diving? Everything I looked up talked about being wet, but obviously my back won't be getting wet in a dry suit. So will I be ok to dive after a week or so, since it won't be wet? Or should I be worried about the tank/bc rubbing my back?

Thanks

I'm a tattooer by trade, but take my advice for what it is...If it were my tattoo and it was over a week old, I would have no problem diving with it. Most tattoos are healed and good to go after about a week. In most cases they flake and peel a bit around the 4-5 day mark and after those flakes are gone you can really do anything you'd like except lots of sun exposure, the skin is still kinda fragile at that point and is very susceptible to burning. Don't wrap it in saran wrap! There's really never a need for that, it just makes the tattoo gross and usually cause heat rashes, pimples and all kinds of extra problems you don't need. After you've gotten the tattoo, follow the artist's healing advice, go super super thin with the ointment (NEVER ENOUGH TO BE GREASY AND WET!) think the same thickness as lotion or chapstick... light but medicated. and it should be flaked and healed in less than 7 day and you'll be good to go. Have fun on your dive!
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom