Taxi blockade at airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had my gripes about taxis at times, but I generally get along with them ok. I even tipped one or two last trip for having clean cabs and not overcharging me. I am often unsure tho and wish I could read the rate maps.

I always tipped them, is that not normal?

For Cozumel taxis? Many think they charge too much even if they charge correct rates, union controlled, no competition, and don't tip. If I think they charged me a fair rate, the cab is clean and doesn't smell, and he runs the AC when it's hot, I will - especially if he helps with my gear bag. Some will charge more than their rate cards allow tho, and I don't understand Spanish so I am a disadvantage. If I get that hunch, I'll walk down the street and wait for another to drive by.

I agree completely that it happens here, both with private action (i.e., striking workers blockading nonunion replacement workers), and by enlisting government to do the dirty work (cab unions getting city governments to prohibit Uber or Lift, state occupational licensing requirements that have nothing to do with consumer protection and everything to do with building a moat against competition, idiotic protectionist tariffs that deny consumers the right to buy from whomever offers the best deal, and any number of examples of special interest legislation). I would guess that it happens everywhere when government has the power to regulate economic activity and politicians have the economic incentives to use that power corruptly to enrich those with political connections.

As to whether or not it SHOULD happen, whether or not it is morally acceptable, is a completely different question than whether it does happen. And I have no problem expressing my view that it is wrong. In my opinion, human liberty of all types, whether political or economic, is worth defending wherever it is threatened, whether the issue is oppression of women in Saudi Arabia, human sex trafficking in Asia, or denial of economic freedom to consumers in Mexico OR in the United States. When you hear that 14 year old girls are forced into sex slavery by ISIS in Iraq, do you say “none of my business”? And YES, I realize that forcing tourists to use taxis is hardly equivalent to forcing young girls into sex slavery, but both are just different forms of attacks on human liberty, and if I have to draw the line of just how minor the interference with freedom has to be for me to ignore it, that’s a line I don’t feel comfortable drawing. YVMV.
Absolute freedom is a myth. It doesn't exist. Unless you live in a cave somewhere everything you do is a compromise with what everyone else is doing. You are not "free" to drive 100mph on city streets just because you feel like it.

I am not willing to endure chaos on vacation for the sake of being "free" to catch a cheap ride from Uber or Lyft. And yes, I believe it is disingenuous to drag the enslavement of women elsewhere in the world into this discussion; it is a complete non-sequitur.

I am not willing to endure chaos on vacation for the sake of being "free" to catch a cheap ride from Uber or Lyft.

No, you are enduring chaos because a group of people don't like that their monopoly is being busted.

Normal? For where? And by whom? This is the long running question that will not be resolved here.

For locals, generally there is no tip unless the taxista is helping with groceries; then maybe 10-20 pesos. If they help with luggage, 10% of the published tariff.

However, tourists and some expats tip substantially more, and sometimes that's on top of the above tariff rates that some taxistas charge. Locals complain about this, because taxis would (naturally) rather service the tourists and make more money than they would service the locals for a $30 peso trip from the supermarket. So either there are frequently fewer taxis for locals, or they overcharge, or they expect tips. Not always, but frequently enough to be annoying.

My last trip from the CZM airport to centro, the taxista quoted me $10 USD, or about $190 pesos. Correct fare is $31 pesos. When we got home, I showed him the fare chart on my phone, and he tried to tell me that's only for locals. Rather than argue with him (because it's *not* only for locals), I showed him my INAPAM (senior citizen's) card, and he relented. I tipped him for helping with the bags, which I'm still not certain was the right thing to do.

There's a big row now on one of the local groups about the folks on all-inclusive packages that include hotel transfers. The tourist gets a voucher to give to the taxista. The taxista turns those into the dispatch operator and is paid the published tariff, but the vouchers have some outrageous price (per person) in USD printed on them, probably so the tourists feel like they are getting a good value. But when the taxistas see those prices, they get a little hot, which is understandable.

So normal? What is normal? Personally, I find normal boring. :confused::bounce:

Ok my tips weren't too out of line typical 20-40 pesos, and they were almost always dealing with my way too many bags.

I have many freinds who own and rent taxis. Many of them were born and have been here since the beginning and helped to build cozumel. Its like they feel they paid their dues and for these other federal companies to come in and take food outta there mouths its not right. I understand it. I compare it to here in ok they just passed a law so we can have eye doctors at walmarts. The optomotrists threw a fit of course but it passed. Most of my freinds are taxistas and they want to make a living. I do think they could use the little 3wheel trikes to transport locals back in neighborhoods because they all wait at the cruise ships for a $100 trip around the island and dont want to do $50peso trips to chedraui.
For people arriving i saw a video posted by taxistas saying they were giving free rides outside airport. I will look for the link.

I would be happy to support the taxis of old Cozumel - they were friendly, honest, professional, had clean cars, and provided service with a smile. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that kind of experience with a taxi here. I know they are still out there, but they have become the exception.

However, dictating to tourists (or locals) how they MUST spend their hard earned money is not an entitlement. No more than running commercial boats is. The argument that they were born here and therefore have more rights than others is crap. Using that logic, I guess I should have more rights in Houston, TX than those who weren't born there.

I would suggest to your taxi driver friends to focus on providing safe, friendly, honest, reliable, professional service with a well maintained car and they wouldn't have to worry about the other services. People using these services are ultimately going to choose who they want to spend their money with.

I would be happy to support the taxis of old Cozumel - they were friendly, honest, professional, had clean cars, and provided service with a smile. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that kind of experience with a taxi here. I know they are still out there, but they have become the exception.

However, dictating to tourists (or locals) how they MUST spend their hard earned money is not an entitlement. No more than running commercial boats is. The argument that they were born here and therefore have more rights than others is crap. Using that logic, I guess I should have more rights in Houston, TX than those who weren't born there.

I would suggest to your taxi driver friends to focus on providing safe, friendly, honest, reliable, professional service with a well maintained car and they wouldn't have to worry about the other services. People using these services are ultimately going to choose who they want to spend their money with.
Very well stated...Christi, you’re the best...

Well FYI all my freinds have nice well kept taxis thanks for asking. If you didnt know there is a age limit on cars and they cant be more than a few years old.
Maybe one day a bunch of new dive boats with newly issued park permits will show up and try to take your business. We have all heard your story of starting from nothing im sure you will be a-ok new boats coming in and getting concessions you have worked and struggled for years for.

... However, dictating to tourists (or locals) how they MUST spend their hard earned money is not an entitlement. ...

While I understand the frustration, I think this misses the point. There is a published tariff. (It would be nice if it were more widely distributed.) It's not hard to understand. It's established by the government - the same government (maybe not the same department) that created the monopoly on transport for hire. The government's unwillingness or inability to enforce the tariff rules is the crux of the problem.

Of course, if everyone followed the rules, we'd have to find something else to argue about ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom