Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Bad news Cozumel friends! I's official, the taxi fares on the island will increase by 20% - yes TWENTY percent! The new fares will take effect sometime between November and January - but somehow I imagine they will conveniently take effect at the end of November, just in time for Thanksgiving and Ironman weekend!

Reasons for the increase are increased fuel cost and no rate increase in several years. The fuel, I understand...it never goes down here, no fluctuation, just a steady monthly increase! Fuel prices have literally tripled since I started my shop 10 years ago!

So, plan your taxi money and rides strategically and bring more ones!

Por Esto! | Yucatán

Do not rent scooters. If you (a guy) wants to, at least put anyone you care about in a car or taxi. That way they are better able to help if you are injured or killed on a deathmobile/scooter.

Ron is exactly right. Scooters in Cozumel are an accident waiting to happen. You can rent a VW bug for almost the same price and we in Cozumel want you able to come back.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Yes don't rent a scooter you should probably stay home and never leave your house. I rent scooters everytime I am in cozumel- 6 times a year and have never had a probelm. So to refer to them as death mobiles- a little overboard. No need to get into the scooter debate everyone has their opinions

As far as the taxi fare increase i will just have to save a little more back for that final ride to the airport. As long as I got my 14 bucks left at the end of my trip i know i can get to the airport at least.

Well DD i rent scooters from ISIS for $20 a day- let me know where i can get a car for that please. Don't think it's gonna happen. ISIS is 35 bucks a day.

No need to get into the scooter debate everyone has their opinions

Not everyone knows about the scooter issue so I am free to mention it whenever I wish.

Are the taxi rules in Cozumel the same as in Akumal?

I learned while I was there that if a dive operator picks up a customer and takes him or her to a dive site (like a cave), it is a crime, and the dive operator's vehicle can be confiscated. Only taxis are allowed to do that kind of transportation. I was also told that dive operators are allowed to take customers from the shop to the dive site, but that is technically illegal and can only be accomplished by paying an annual "fee" (ahem) to the local police.

Just part of the price when traveling. Really no biggie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom