Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I have no way of knowing, but I would be willing to bet that a deal was made.

That's the way it should go. As I said earlier, perhaps the deal can be that we want to use shuttles for logistical reasons but we'll cover the "lost fares" to the taxi union. And we have no idea if such a deal was made or not this time. You assume that someone was just flouting the law but perhaps a deal was made but it didn't get communicated to all concerned or it was made with the "wrong" party.

That's the way it should go. As I said earlier, perhaps the deal can be that we want to use shuttles for logistical reasons but we'll cover the "lost fares" to the taxi union. And we have no idea if such a deal was made or not this time. You assume that someone was just flouting the law but perhaps a deal was made but it didn't get communicated to all concerned or it was made with the "wrong" party.

I can't imagine a 'deal'. Who gets the money? every taxi gets a peso VS 30 of them get a fare?

Not that I can't imagine paying to break a law and all...

It seems that lot of you are quick to place the onus on the shuttle logistics of United Airlines. These arrangements were probably made by some outsourced worker named 'Alastair' or 'Ruppert' who had no clue as to the taxi mafia situation on the island. I'll bet one of the shuttle drivers tried to explain the situation to one of the thug taxi drivers. This was a unique situation where the customer was stuck in the middle of some ugly turf wars. While I am sympathetic to the desperate situation of these workers, worrying about where the next meal may come from, just remember the violence that reared it's ugly head when the word Uber was even mentioned on the island. That was before the lack of cruise ships or Covid; when taxi drivers were probably in decent financial shape.

I didn't say "law", I said "rules"; I don't know if the rules carry the force of law. Whether a deal was not made or if one party or another went outside the deal really doesn't make any difference. The confrontation could have been avoided but wasn't; that I am certain of but the devil is in the details. One way it could have been avoided would have been for the rep of whoever arranged the overnight accommodations to stand on the street with a stack of 500 peso (or whatever) notes loading tourists into cabs and paying the drivers.

Another thing that occurs to me is that the flight the next day was just like any other flight; there was no compelling reason for all the passengers to hit the airport at once. Why would they want to?

You know with this and some of the other stories, I had an epiphany. It seems to make me think people should be skipping United and not Cozumel? :poke:

Southwest-logo.jpg

Another thing that occurs to me is that the flight the next day was just like any other flight; there was no compelling reason for all the passengers to hit the airport at once. Why would they want to?

Was it? Did the passenger have to go through check in again? Did they have their checked bags or just the carry-on? It had to be a separate flight. I've never been on a flight so empty - even last summer - that could absorb all the passengers from another flight.You might have noticed the flights are running pretty full.

I visited Mexico once, and only once. Its totally unreasonable to accept a situation like that, I don't care what idiotic rules they made up.
It wasn't really a bad trip but after getting a real good idea of the state of things down there and the desperation inspired antics of the people that seem to hassle you everywhere you go down there I wouldn't even consider an all expenses paid trip back. A more honest expression of my opinion of them would get me kicked off the board.

Obviously nowhere is perfect but there is a reason I fly to somewhere like the Caymans instead, I'm perfectly happy to pay for quality even on a national level. I prefer a specific dive outfit on the east end where we usually stay in condos (literally attached to the property) that amusingly seems to be staffed entirely from the UK, Canada and Australia.
I have also learned its worth the extra (sometimes a lot) to book directly with an airline rather than be treated like a second class citizen when something goes wrong and you booked through a third party cheap seat company.

Thank goodness Cayman taxi drivers are different! No big union in control!

Wait... Never mind. EDITORIAL – Taxis, taxpayers and tourists: Who’s being taken for a ride? - Cayman Compass
Not taking sides
The wife and I go to Universal Orlando frequently
We have had multiple issues with the authorized cab companies at citywalk
Not putting the meter on
Trying to charge us 2 or 3x the fare
Argumentative over the use of credit cards
Many calls to the company ad nauseum
We did not stop going to universal but now found other alternatives in regards to transportation
More than likely people will not stop going to cozumel but will alter their behavior if possible
Hijack over

Back
Top Bottom