Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Larsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I get to Cozumel several times a year, and this last week I must say we were attemted to be over charged by more Taxis then ever before....most Taxis charged us 60 Pesos to get from Coral Princess to the square and that is the Posted Prices (Thank you Christy for the rate charts) however we had 4 taxis we did not take because they wanted 100 pesos, we asked all taxis except for one a price before getting in, and of course the one we didn't ask tried to scam us out of about 4 extra dollors and when questioned he started back peddeling and even got pissed to the point to tell me that I had a very rememorable face and he would run into me again on the Island..Im assuming he wanted to give me a private tour of the middle of the Island....luckily he forgot what I looked like and we all made it home safely...Lesson learned Never get into a Cozumel Taxi without getting a price before hand.

Sorry to hear this John. The taxis that wanted 100 pesos, did you counter with 60? Just curious.
Yeah I never get into a taxi without confirming the price and having exact change.
They seem to be quite notorious for not having any change.

Reactions: Jax
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Just reinforces why we all need to ask before getting in the taxi and turn away the ones who want too much. That will teach them a lesson and help us all keep prices down.

Honestly, I think that all this concern is overblown. So a taxi driver screws you out of a dollar. So what? It's a dollar. Yes, it adds up. In a week's visit it could add up to <gasp> ten dollars.

I am reasonably prudent, paying in pesos, carrying small bills and coins, and knowing generally how much rides cost. But if I get caught unprepared and get taken for a dollar, it's not a big deal. Comparing these small time guys with the mafia is laughable.

Honestly, I think that all this concern is overblown. So a taxi driver screws you out of a dollar. So what? It's a dollar. Yes, it adds up. In a week's visit it could add up to <gasp> ten dollars.

I am reasonably prudent, paying in pesos, carrying small bills and coins, and knowing generally how much rides cost. But if I get caught unprepared and get taken for a dollar, it's not a big deal. Comparing these small time guys with the mafia is laughable.
Its not about being ripped off a dollor or two...its about being blatently lied to. If I get a good taxi driver friendly polite turns on the a/c I will usually even tip them...but if your gonna lie to my face...Im gonna call you on it...but that's just me.

In the US the taxi drivers call it a union, not the mafia. That way they can rip you off legally.

I have to agree. Life is too short to be fussing over a dollar or two. You try to mitigate such situations but in the end, it ain't the end of the world.

Its not about being ripped off a dollor or two...its about being blatently lied to. If I get a good taxi driver friendly polite turns on the a/c I will usually even tip them...but if your gonna lie to my face...Im gonna call you on it...but that's just me.
I guess it's all in which battles one chooses to fight, and I lean toward the pragmatic side when it comes to such things. I'm not getting in an argument with a cabbie (or anyone, for that matter) over a dollar. I take reasonable precautions toward not being taken advantage of, but beyond that I try to be a difficult person to make angry. Life is too short and getting shorter all the time.

40 pesos is more than one USD. Instead of belittling the OP, place the blame on the taxis trying to significantly overcharge (percentage) the accepted fare.

Reactions: Jax
40 pesos is more than one USD. Instead of belittling the OP, place the blame on the taxis trying to significantly overcharge (percentage) the accepted fare.
So in this case it's three dollars. Big deal.

I'm not belittling anyone and blame is irrelevant. If it's worth it to you to go to the mat over a pittance as a matter of principle, be my guest. I choose not to. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom