• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Taxi pimps? Wtf?

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by wildbill9, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Justin Bove

Justin Bove Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    True, Jamaica, Nassau Bahamas, Puerto Rico, San Fransisco, Buford Wyoming, etc.

2. soldsoul4foos

soldsoul4foos ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Been once to Coz, never had any problems. Just keep walking...

3. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's generally true, but I've never seen anything like this on the island in all of my years of visits...
    So, how does one flag down a tourist cop, one of those whose job it is to keep peace between locals and us cash cows?

4. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'd Have to check the card, but 95 pesos to BA from the ferry pier might be about right. 300 yards south you may have crossed into another zone. There also may be a surcharge from the ferry pier. You walked 300 yards and saved, what, two dollars? Is that a big deal?

couv likes this.
  5. Brules

Brules Loggerhead Turtle

At least they weren't the real pimps trying to sell you ladies..........they are down there as well. My son and his buddies got propositioned over there last week lol.

6. MMM

MMM Giant Squid Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Mountain...meet mole-hill. :) If this is the worst thing you encounter in Cozumel, consider it a holiday well-spent.

7. okvij

okvij Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The repellent for such horseflies is talking to them in a language they don't understand. I've done it a few times - they simply go blank.

8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

I was walking by a stand in St.Maarten once, and tried saying "Non merci" even tho I don't speak French at all, just picked that up somewhere. Her pitch switched to French without missing a beat. I had to admit that she had me, but I still got away without a problem.

The only times I ever got harassed were in the Cancun market district. One was a store keeper who just wouldn't leave me alone until I left the area, then some taxi driver who was hell bent to taking me for a tour. Maybe I was wearing a stupid sign that day. The driver even followed me along a one-way street harassing me until I turned around and walked against the flow of cars.

Brules likes this.
  9. WetInPortland

WetInPortland Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You mean like, "Ich bin ein Berliner"? I might have to try that one!

10. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Seriously, those guys (street hawkers) do not bother me at all, and if their tactics never yielded any returns, they wouldn't do it. I have heard these stories about "aggressive" hawkers who "won't take no for an answer" but in all my trips to Cozumel over the last 40 years, I have never encountered one. It makes me wonder why anyone would do that if it was made clear to them that it would be a waste of their time. I never display irritation to them; maybe there is something in that sort of response that shows them a glimmer of hope of a monetary return, I dunno.

Cozumel is a vacation destination frequented by tourists with money to spend; any time you have that dynamic you will have merchants and entrepreneurs trying to get some of it. It comes with the territory; no one should be surprised by it. You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. :D

chillyinCanada and Brules like this.