Taxonomic keywords for Adobe LightRoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kreuzerkrieg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A week ago I came back from Red Sea with ~200 photos. It is quite a big collection of images to process, cataloguing and upload to Flickr, the real problem is taxonomy, in case you add any. So I started to look for something to speedup my work in Adobe Lightroom. After 5 minutes of googling I found 120k list of species for lightroom, for 99$.
IMHO, it is an illegitimate use of public databases like ITIS or Catalogue of Life. They just harvested the free database (created by scientist and enthusiasts from all over the world), organized it in tab indented text file and asked for it 99$. :idk: Sound like a robbery to me. So I decided to get my hand dirty and create my own taxonomic tree. Maybe it is not that comprehensive and sure I missed stuff but it is free and you can build the list in the way YOU want.

If you are interested in downloading or learning how to create your own taxonomy tree for lightroom visit my tutorial page http://kreuzerkrieg.dyndns.info/Marine_Life_Taxonomy_for_Adobe_Lightroom.htmhttp://kreuzerkrieg.dyndns.info/Marine_Life_Taxonomy_for_Adobe_Lightroom.htm

UPD: Somehow I managed to miss all marine mammals. Fixed now. In addition I bounded the SQL to Animalia kingdom, I guess no one is interested in algae taxonomy for his/her Lightroom :) Another new thing, all common names are treated as keyword synonyms, it is searcheable, it will show up when you export metadata and the common name parsing is more accurate, hope there is no more duplicates.

Taxonomic tree for keywording in Adobe Lightroom

Just installed the list and started using it to add keywords to my photos, I am unable to find the listings for slugs and nudibranchs ( Mollusca, Gastropoda, Opisthobranchia etc.).

Will you be adding them at some stage?

UPD: Somehow I managed to miss all marine mammals. Fixed now. In addition I bounded the SQL to Animalia kingdom, I guess no one is interested in algae taxonomy for his/her Lightroom :) Another new thing, all common names are treated as keyword synonyms, it is searcheable, it will show up when you export metadata and the common name parsing is more accurate, hope there is no more duplicates.

Taxonomic tree for keywording in Adobe Lightroom

I have tried 3x to import into LR 3 and each time it crashes LR.
Mac 10.5
Bill

Back
Top Bottom