TDI Advanced Nitrox / Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itt was instigated so some one gets a "taste of tech " a lot of instructor insist on it ...I don't if you have made up your mind your going tech for the right reasons ...im charging 800 apiece for the courses , plus expenses if we travel on the last dives ,900 dollars if done separately I know at least 2 instructors here in Ontario that do a horrendous job teaching the courses......I have a student who is paying me to teach the courses to him again because he knows he didn't get a very good course .......you have to pay a reasonable amount to get a reasonable course bargain basement courses are just that ............

itt was instigated so some one gets a "taste of tech " a lot of instructor insist on it ...I don't if you have made up your mind your going tech for the right reasons ...im charging 800 apiece for the courses , plus expenses if we travel on the last dives ,900 dollars if done separately I know at least 2 instructors here in Ontario that do a horrendous job teaching the courses......I have a student who is paying me to teach the courses to him again because he knows he didn't get a very good course .......you have to pay a reasonable amount to get a reasonable course bargain basement courses are just that ............

The exchange rate makes it very reasonable for US divers. :D

like I said good instruction costs , if you can make it better by exchange rates ..then do it . I don't charge more to our southern friends !

like I said good instruction costs , if you can make it better by exchange rates ..then do it . I don't charge more to our southern friends !

I don’t mind paying for quality instruction. By the way. I’m half Canadian. :D

I definitely believe proper training and a good instructor make all the difference. A bad DSD experience 15 years almost stopped me from trying diving again for good. But, on a serious note, if I just want to occasionally stretch my rec dives into deco dives (e.g. single tank; 10-15 min max in deco) and/or (less likely) use 80%-100% O2 for accelerated deco stops (hanging off a boat), how much training do I really need?

I only started contemplating deco dives after I got fairly good with air consumption and I wouldn't mind staying deeper longer (typically <30m taking photos) instead of coming up with tons of air. In practice, I guess I could just do it and follow my DC; but i wouldn't mind a formal certification for insurance purpose.

I definitely believe proper training and a good instructor make all the difference. A bad DSD experience 15 years almost stopped me from trying diving again for good. But, on a serious note, if I just want to occasionally stretch my rec dives into deco dives (e.g. single tank; 10-15 min max in deco) and/or (less likely) use 80%-100% O2 for accelerated deco stops (hanging off a boat), how much training do I really need?

I only started contemplating deco dives after I got fairly good with air consumption and I wouldn't mind staying deeper longer (typically <30m taking photos) instead of coming up with tons of air. In practice, I guess I could just do it and follow my DC; but i wouldn't mind a formal certification for insurance purpose.

There are no TDI “baby deco” classes. I believe the beginning PADI Tec class certifies you for up to 10 min of deco. Check with @abnfrog - I believe he teaches it. He’s up in Temagami.

When did more training/info become a bad thing?

By the way, what was the gear the one shop was trying to get you to buy that you didn’t want to shell out for?

There are no TDI “baby deco” classes. I believe the beginning PADI Tec class certifies you for up to 10 min of deco. Check with @abnfrog - I believe he teaches it. He’s up in Temagami.
When did more training/info become a bad thing?
By the way, what was the gear the one shop was trying to get you to buy that you didn’t want to shell out for?

More training is definitely not a bad thing, but I'd rather dive for fun than chasing for unnecessary certificates based on my rec dive profile. PADI especially is owned by a PE firm, so the priority is just $.

The shop didn't exactly try to sell me anything in particular, but did tell me pretty much every piece of gear I own was not suitable (other than my reg and DC). I would have to buy (or rent which I do not like to do) all the necessary gears for the course. Overall, it was just a lot of hassle relative to my objective.

On a side note, I did drysuit diver and bought a drysuit just for iceland - now I haven't used it for 2 years:D

More training is definitely not a bad thing, but I'd rather dive for fun than chasing for unnecessary certificates based on my rec dive profile. PADI especially is owned by a PE firm, so the priority is just $.

The shop didn't exactly try to sell me anything in particular, but did tell me pretty much every piece of gear I own was not suitable (other than my reg and DC). I would have to buy (or rent which I do not like to do) all the necessary gears for the course. Overall, it was just a lot of hassle relative to my objective.

On a side note, I did drysuit diver and bought a drysuit just for iceland - now I haven't used it for 2 years:D

You’ve got the Great Lakes in your backyard. Hope you’re using your camera on the wrecks in the Lakes. They’re my reason for going tech. Wrecks, wrecks, wrecks. :D

Overall, it was just a lot of hassle relative to my objective.

If you want to go into deco do it, there's no scuba police stopping you :D

I wouldn't go sucking on 100% without proper training though.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind you don't want to do any courses.

You’ve got the Great Lakes in your backyard. Hope you’re using your camera on the wrecks in the Lakes. They’re my reason for going tech. Wrecks, wrecks, wrecks. :D
I like reefs and marine life (macro or big fish). I do not really enjoy freshwater wrecks/caves, especial when it is cold like Tobermory. Maybe that's why I am not yet fully committed in going tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom