TDI and hyperoxic trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ain't that the truth. I've never seen so much fuss over understanding an MOD and being able to breath in and out. Well ... I haven't seen so much fuss and stupidity since all the powers that be thought EAN was devil gas. Want to take a good class? Dick Rutkowski's Blending Class, that and a good mentor is all you'll ever need.

Helium is the new devil gas and its getting more expensive. Which will have ripple effects throughout diving.

Helium is the new devil gas and its getting more expensive. Which will have ripple effects throughout diving.

Yeah - when can I start getting Helioneon fills?

I do not believe that the OP is trolling. From his posts here and elsewhere, I know that he would LIKE to take the GUE RecTriox class, but it's rarely available and is currently under revision. He has the same desire I had, to be able to add some helium for deeper recreational dives in cold water/low viz situations.

Some agencies have recreational triox classes that limit divers to very low helium mixtures, so trying to figure out which will permit the use of 30/30 is a reasonable question.

I did mine with NAUI, which I believe normally uses 17% helium, but because of my instructor, my shop will fill 25/25 for me. It's all so byzantine :)

Just as an FYI, my understanding is that Steve White will be doing a Triox class here in Seattle this June. So in case someone who wants to do the class is in the general Seattle area......

I don't think anyone is accusing you of not being able to calculate a best mix. You are also wrongly assuming that calculating "best mix" precludes the use of team diving procedures. As a team, you can determine the dive plan, determine the desired mix, the deco gas, the schedule. Everything can still be done as a team (but it doesn't have to, to each his/her own).

I'm not arguing that standard mixes are not a good thing. As a new-ish technical diver myself, I am trying to keep to standard gases as I experiment with deco schedules. I want to try to limit the number or variables in my dive plans so I can learn how my body reacts to specific changes. I will likely stick to standard gases (not necesarrily GUE-standard) as I gain experence but would I would not disqualify myself from a dive if standard mixes were not available. I would rather rely on my own thinking for my gas planning as opposed to what someone else has told me is the "right" gas for MY dive.

But that is the thing, by saying and stressing 'MY dive' the team concept is already out the window. It would be solely YOUR dive if you did the dive solo, see what I mean? The choices you make do influence the person you dive with.

But that is the thing, by saying and stressing 'MY dive' the team concept is already out the window. It would be solely YOUR dive if you did the dive solo, see what I mean? The choices you make do influence the person you dive with.

Come on dude, you are just playing with words here trying to make an argument that doesn't exist. I didn't realize that I couldn't use the first person singular when discussing technical diving. This is like Ayn Rand's "Anthem" for chrissake. For those who take everything they read literally, I (oops I mean "we") meant to include my team in the statement. I guess Jarrod needs to add a chapter to the fundies book on "standardized forum verbiage" so we don't have this misunderstanding again.

Come on dude, you are just playing with words here trying to make an argument that doesn't exist. I didn't realize that I couldn't use the first person singular when discussing technical diving. This is like Ayn Rand's "Anthem" for chrissake. For those who take everything they read literally, I (oops I mean "we") meant to include my team in the statement. I guess Jarrod needs to add a chapter to the fundies book on "standardized forum verbiage" so we don't have this misunderstanding again.

Allright then. But I am curious, when you say you'd rather rely on your planning, does your buddy dive the same mix? All of this of course being far more important in deeper (decompression) diving than in a shallow 50ft 30min shore dive.

Not looking for any arguments, I have far better things to do with my time :popcorn:

Allright then. But I am curious, when you say you'd rather rely on your planning, does your buddy dive the same mix? All of this of course being far more important in deeper (decompression) diving than in a shallow 50ft 30min shore dive.

Not looking for any arguments, I have far better things to do with my time :popcorn:

Typically, yes. Before a trip we'll confirm the mix before getting fills, confirm the plan the night before when we are all together, then dive the plan the next day.

I'll give you a perfect example of where "best mix" works well. In NC, there are a lot of dives in the 100-120fsw area. Let's say we do a long dive (70 min BT) on a wreck at 110fsw. Using GUE standard gases, I would have to use 21/35 at that depth and deco out on 50/50 and 100%. Using V-planner those gases get me out of the water in 110 minutes. Using 32 at that depth and )2 for deco gets you out of the water almost 10 minutes sooner. Add to this that you only have to manage 1 deco bottle. If I really wanted to use 50/50 as well (I wouldn't) it would save a few more minutes.

So why would I use the standard gases on this dive when I can get out of the water 10 minutes quicker, using one less gas switch, and do it using a gas that is widely available for pennies on the dollar compared to mix? I know you guys hate to hear the cost factor when talking about helium and narcosis, but if you really need the $100 in helium and 50/50 to manage the incremental narcosis from 100 to 110fsw, there might be some larger issues at play.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It is time to take this discussion into a new thread outside the SDI/TDI/ERDI forum. As the OP's question has been (exhaustively) answered...
Thread closed.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom