TDI ER / Trimix manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my ER / Trimix (metric version) manual and... it's pathetic!

I hope there is a new version coming out soon!

Would you care to elaborate, please ? Why do you find it so pathetic ? I dont't know that manual.

It's dated (2002), it starts with some indirect mentions of GUE training that I don't think have a place there, of the 109 pages, it has one chapter with nine pages about trimix and 5 pages in the Appendix with some tables, does not show properly the END formula (as it shows EAD and all the other pressure / depth / gas fraction / volume / etc formulas), there is just an example written within the text and the formula is not even in the Appendix where they again show all the formulas...

Have just read the beginning and browsed it a bit, so there may be other things...
Fortunately I have other books and articles.

It's dated (2002), it starts with some indirect mentions of GUE training that I don't think have a place there, of the 109 pages, it has one chapter with nine pages about trimix and 5 pages in the Appendix with some tables, does not show properly the END formula (as it shows EAD and all the other pressure / depth / gas fraction / volume / etc formulas), there is just an example written within the text and the formula is not even in the Appendix where they again show all the formulas...

Have just read the beginning and browsed it a bit, so there may be other things...
Fortunately I have other books and articles.

The book does correctly show the END formula. TDI does not consider the narcosis potential of oxygen when calculating END. Since the science is not conclusive on whether oxygen contributes to narcosis they have chosen to use the partial pressure of nitrogen as a guide to narcosis potential and makes the END and EAD formulas one and the same.

I didn't say anything about oxygen!
What I meant by not showing the formula properly was that, all other formulas are in big font, with the variables and what they mean, both in the chapter and in Appendix A - Common Formulas. The END formula is not stated like that. There is some text in chapter 5 where they check the PN2 at 40m (not even directly, but by calculating PO2 and then subtracting from total pressure) and say, "if PN2 = 3.95, your END is 40m". Then they assume this to be the desired value, add the 1.4 max PO2 and figure what is missing if we are diving at 60m, which will be helium.

As already mentioned, this is the metric version. Maybe the imperial has been changed (at least the cover is different).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom