TDI Intro to Tech or AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should is not the same as shall not. So this is just a guideline for the instructors. If the instructors and you feels like you are ready to go that deep in that configuration why not. Also nothing wrong with learning how to do gas switch on ITT, I certainly did and my instructor and I agreed that all dives out of the pool I'd carry a deco tank and we would do a gas switch and a deco stop on each dive. It certainly helped me a lot.

This whole discussion really points to the value of a progressive approach to technical training. Some instructors are OK with a longer term mentor relationship as opposed to just succinct classes. If the student can do this, I think in the long run this is a great approach. But it isn’t always feasible. Built in steps like the 40-45-50 progression address a lot of what is being discussed here.

From a student perspective I would want to take an ITT, Deep or Solo class from the instructor before committing to ANDP or the 40-45-50 progression with them. It gives you an opportunity to see if you are compatible with the instructor.

It also gives the instructor the opportunity to assess you as a diver. The instructor then has information to help form your training path.

If you’re going with an instructor you’ve taken classes with already this may not be needed. You should both have a pretty good idea of where you are starting from. I would offer that seeking out a different instructor has benefits. A second opinion on your current skill level may be helpful. An instructor with a different approach or different experiences may benefit you as well.

From a student perspective I would want to take an ITT, Deep or Solo class from the instructor before committing to ANDP or the 40-45-50 progression with them. It gives you an opportunity to see if you are compatible with the instructor.

I would offer that seeking out a different instructor has benefits. A second opinion on your current skill level may be helpful. An instructor with a different approach or different experiences may benefit you as well.

Both of these points are spot on and something I have recommended in the past. As someone who has done classes with almost a dozen instructors, I can tell you that when you seek out quality instruction there is always something new to learn---a brand new technique, a refinement, something.

I've been fortunate to have had some high-quality instruction and mentoring by some high-quality people, and some instruction and mentoring from, well, folks who were not so excellent. Whatever the cost difference is to get the quality, it is worth it.

I've been fortunate to have had some high-quality instruction and mentoring by some high-quality people, and some instruction and mentoring from, well, folks who were not so excellent. Whatever the cost difference is to get the quality, it is worth it.

Sometimes it is not cheaper to get inferior instruction.

Also, for me at least, the cost of the course is the cheapest bit. Staying away and time off work swamp the cost of a course with a top instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom