TDI Intro to Tech or AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learning how to do decompression and manage gas changes well not fermilure with the equipment is absolutely dangerous.

A good intro course fermilureizes the diver with tech gear and procedures.

Then a diver like you can spend a season diving well within the limits of your training and become proficient in a set of doubles. After that you can take the next step and evolve in to a safe technical diver.

I reccomend finding another instructor that isn't in such a rush to take your money or can atleast take the time to actually read you email and put together a safe training plan.

I believe I am sold on doing ITT instead of AN/DP considering my experience and the suggestions from everyone here. Probably in the next day or two I will give the instructor a call to discuss ITT with them. If the instructor does not agree with my decision, I suppose I will look elsewhere? The suggestion of AN/DP right off the bat was quite daunting to me to be quite honest. I do like a challenge, but my safety is my primary concern and I think I’ve got a good deal of work to do and experience to gain before going to that level as others have stated.

Seems like a good call @Kyle0692. Among other things, moving into tech is a transition point where you begin to balance what an instructor recommends with what your gut is telling you. If AN/DP seems daunting, as it should, then that's even more support to do the ITT first.

I had the same dilemma just a few months ago.

At last opted to go AN/DP without ITT. No issues at at all, but I was already very comfortable with a Hogarthian setup, albeit in single tank.

I think it also helped that the dive centre had their own pool, and unlimited fills as long as I felt like practicing. Got used to doubles by day 1, no significant struggle with course.

Also, I would think that it's better for you to ask your instructor on this, since my instructor teaches AN/DP in a very packed manner, covering ITT as well for my course mates who weren't that comfortable with the basics. He was also available if we felt like training in the pool. giving us guidance and tips. Since there was significantly more in-water practice time, there were no issues at all.

Personally, I was more than happy with this route, since instead of paying more to the agency for the card, I saved some money, and still did not felt like I was short changed on diving education.

But of course, your mileage might vary, depending on your prior dive experience, level of skills, instructor etc.

Well, I have to say that I really disagree with a lot of what has been posted here.

There is no reason to take AN separate from DP (unless the instructor insists on some short schedule that pushes a student through faster than they should). And, there is no reason to do ItT first if you know you want to do AN/DP.

I started my first tech training from almost exactly the same position as the OP. I had around 50 or so dives and no experience in doubles. By the time I finished and got my AN/DP certs, it had been about 9 months and I had about 85 dives (total).

If you have found an instructor that is willing to spend the extra time (versus a 5 day course or similar), I can see no reason not to take advantage. Especially if the instructor has different gear they’ll let you try. Nothing stopping you from trying stuff and then buying what works for you, to finish the course with. I mean, seriously? How is someone supposed to know what gear to buy before they take the class? You CAN research it and figure it out on your own. But, that is true for just about EVERYTHING in scuba.

You live in NE Fl? Like where?

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of good instructors there that can teach you to dive safely in doubles. AN/DP...the classes themselves...are for a diver that already knows how to dive doubles, has buoyancy figured out (or at least mostly), and has decent trim. The problem with throwing learning all that into a AN/DP course is that it takes time to make those new skills and procedures muscle memory.

I’m a firm believer that there are 3 paths here before AN/DP.

1- take an ITT and spend a few months practicing what you learned.

2- find a mentor (dive buddy who is a tech diver) who will bring you up to speed.

3- go buy all the stuff and wing it. This will most likely be a steeper learning curve, but it’s honestly not rocket science. You absolutely can teach yourself to dive doubles. The pitfall with this route, is that you can buy all the wrong stuff(inappropriate gear), and can self learn some nasty habits that are hard to break later on down the road.

Being in NE Fl, there is no shortage of good instructors. PCola? Edd is a 2 hr drive away. Tally? He’s even closer.
Lake City—- throw a rock and find a cavediving legend.

I believe I am sold on doing ITT instead of AN/DP considering my experience and the suggestions from everyone here. Probably in the next day or two I will give the instructor a call to discuss ITT with them. If the instructor does not agree with my decision, I suppose I will look elsewhere? The suggestion of AN/DP right off the bat was quite daunting to me to be quite honest. I do like a challenge, but my safety is my primary concern and I think I’ve got a good deal of work to do and experience to gain before going to that level as others have stated.

I think you made a good call. I just started AN/DP (in side mount) and have not taken ITT the first dive was 90 min yesterday as a checkout skills assessment dive with no deco bottle, and 2 dives today with deco bottle and we're into mask off skills already. the additional task loading in a configuration your not familiar and comfortable with could prove to be very difficult. I had 160 dives prior and 60 of them in side mount and I think Im at the very minimum entry level to really get a lot out of the course.
Now Im big on the learn proper skills first instead of trying to correct bad habits later but I don't think this is a course designed to teach you HOW to dive a doubles configuration.

When I reached out by email to my instructor about it saying a friend and myself are interested in the course in SM he emailed back with a few questions about experience and how long/many dives we have and how many in sidemount and made a point to say he was happy we had some experience in SM not fresh out of the gate.

I would say get comfortable in a doubles setup BM or SM and then you will get more out of AN/DP instead of spending the entire duration of the class getting used to and adjusting your gear.

That said Im just classroom theory done and 2 dive days into it so take it for what its worth. GL in whichever way you chose!

I like an ITT that is run similarly to UTD Essentials or GUE fundies. Make sure your skills are solid before going onto AN/DP. If you are willing to make the trek down to Ft. Lauderdale, I'd suggest contacting @custureri. He'll definitely get you squared away.

I would never accept a student for AN/DP with no experience in doubles or sidemount. AN/DP is enough of a task load for a diver with experience in sidemount or doubles that takes 5 full, LONG, days when I teach it. Even though we get in 9 or 10 dives usually, that is not enough in doubles or SM to cement skills and turn a diver loose with the AN/DP card.
I expect my AN/DP students to have a minimum of 25 dives in the doubles or SM configuration they will be using and to own their gear or if borrowed/rented to have that amount of experience in it. We are not going to have time to adjust every little thing on top of the skills.
Your buoyancy and trim in the gear should be good. Like holding a stop for 3 minutes with less than a 2 ft change in depth when doing the required skills. AN/DP is not the time to be messing around with working on getting in decent trim in your gear. It should be there before you start the class.
Since I offer sidemount and backmount as options, for those who have not done either, I want the student to do the intro to tech in the one they see themselves doing down the road. If they decide that they want to try SM but don't have SM gear, we can do a SM workshop with a rental setup to try.
But you are still going to have to provide your gear for AN/DP.
Tech is not like recreational. The risks are higher, the skills required more stringent, the mental and emotional discipline more important.
DO the intro. Then get your own gear sorted. Get 2 to 3 dozen dives in it under your belt. Work on your buoyancy and trim. Then sign up for AN/DP.

I'm quoting this because it bears repeating.

The qualifications of a graduate of AN/DP include decompression dives to a maximum depth of 150' and using a decompression gas, up to 100% oxygen. AN/DP (or AN/Helitrox) is not the course where you should be learning how to manage a set of doubles/sidemount, how to frog kick, how to have good neutral buoyancy and trim, and how to develop situational awareness with task loading.

Personally, I won't take someone into AN/DP unless they have either earned an Intro to Cave rating or have completed Intro to Tech or Sidemount.

BTW -- I see you're in NE Florida, I have an Intro to Tech course the weekend of May 4th if you're interested. It'll be conducted in High Springs and Blue Grotto.

Well, I have to say that I really disagree with a lot of what has been posted here.

There is no reason to take AN separate from DP (unless the instructor insists on some short schedule that pushes a student through faster than they should). And, there is no reason to do ItT first if you know you want to do AN/DP.

I started my first tech training from almost exactly the same position as the OP. I had around 50 or so dives and no experience in doubles. By the time I finished and got my AN/DP certs, it had been about 9 months and I had about 85 dives (total).

If you have found an instructor that is willing to spend the extra time (versus a 5 day course or similar), I can see no reason not to take advantage. Especially if the instructor has different gear they’ll let you try. Nothing stopping you from trying stuff and then buying what works for you, to finish the course with. I mean, seriously? How is someone supposed to know what gear to buy before they take the class? You CAN research it and figure it out on your own. But, that is true for just about EVERYTHING in scuba.

Your logic is flawed. If we extend it, we might as well take the non-diver and sign them up for an Instructor Course if they know they want to become an Instructor. They can bypass that whole Scuba Diver, Advanced, Rescue and Divemaster courses thing.

Go for the AN/DP, it seems like the instructor is trying to save you some cash and skipping the "try some tech" portion since you show interest in continuing further. I don't think you will lose anything or be shorted as long as you leave enough time between the pool sessions and open water dives to practice independently.

edit: I am assuming he is willing to take the extra time in the pool to teach all the intro skills and just wants to avoid having you pay for the Card/Course materials and fees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom