TDI Intro to Tech or AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your logic is flawed. If we extend it, we might as well take the non-diver and sign them up for an Instructor Course if they know they want to become an Instructor. They can bypass that whole Scuba Diver, Advanced, Rescue and Divemaster courses thing.

Right. And if we’re going to take any steps to increase safety, if we extend it we might as well just never dive, because that is really the safest.... SMH

My logic did not include skipping any prerequisites. Yours does.

Please explain what is flawed in taking a student that meets the prerequisites for AN/DP and spending the time that is needed to teach them everything they need to know in order to earn an AN/DP certification.

I think it is flawed to have a mindset that classes must be taught on consecutive days (or similar idea), to meet the minimum number of dives required. AN/DP requires something like 6 dives and can be done in 4 days, if the student has skills that already far exceed what is implied by the prerequisites. But, if an instructor is willing to commit to teaching a class that will have 20 dives and take 3 months, what is the flaw?

Right. And if we’re going to take any steps to increase safety, if we extend it we might as well just never dive, because that is really the safest.... SMH

My logic did not include skipping any prerequisites. Yours does.

Please explain what is flawed in taking a student that meets the prerequisites for AN/DP and spending the time that is needed to teach them everything they need to know in order to earn an AN/DP certification.

I think it is flawed to have a mindset that classes must be taught on consecutive days (or similar idea), to meet the minimum number of dives required. AN/DP requires something like 6 dives and can be done in 4 days, if the student has skills that already far exceed what is implied by the prerequisites. But, if an instructor is willing to commit to teaching a class that will have 20 dives and take 3 months, what is the flaw?

So what you're basically saying is the instructor should go ahead and teach intro to tech as part of the an/dp course.

So what you're basically saying is the instructor should go ahead and teach intro to tech as part of the an/dp course.

I did not at all say SHOULD. I just said that I don’t see anything wrong with it if an instructor wants to do that. And, if the OP found an instructor willing to do that (as I did), he should feel free to take advantage of that.

So, ITT is good as long as it's actually just part of your AN/DP course and not a separate course? Did I understand that right?

But, if an instructor is willing to commit to teaching a class that will have 20 dives and take 3 months, what is the flaw?

Essentially you are talking about a $3000 AN/DP course. I’d be more than willing to do what you suggest for that price.

So, ITT is good as long as it's actually just part of your AN/DP course and not a separate course? Did I understand that right?

Gonna try and diffuse this bomb. Kensuf, i do not believe he is saying "as long as its included". I think he is implying if the instructor wants to "eat" the cost of teaching ITT and do it for "free/spend extra time" that is the instructors choice. I do not believe stuarttv is advocating for skipping the training required, just if a teacher wants to teach for "free" he can do that.

My first tech course, the instructor just started from scratch and taught everything. We did not do ITT, but the course did take 4 pool days, and 4 weekends in the OW. My instructor sure as heck isn't a savy businessman, but he found it valuable to save me over $200 in course fees and materials so i could spend it on something else.

Like my father told me "This is America, its not illegal to be a SH!%$Y businessman"

We haven't discussed costs, we're simply talking training progression.

Stuart basically said "Skip ITT and jump into AN/DP! Just find an instructor that will teach all of the ITT basics as part of AN/DP!"

That's not skipping ITT. That's including it in the program.

Stuart basically said "Skip ITT and jump into AN/DP! Just find an instructor that will teach all of the ITT basics as part of AN/DP!"

You are passive-aggressively splitting a hair.

That sounds reasonable. The course may be only the minimum days if the student is a total Bad A$$, or it may take months if they need to go out in the world and practice skills on their own. As long as the student and instructor have an understanding before beginning.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom