TDI vs PADI tech materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, another opinion:
I completely blew past these kind of pictures and worked the content at the time, first half of the book for a “Fundamentals in Tec” class, (which I quite liked) and at that time formed this opinion:
So, based on content, out of the PADI books I have or have seen, this is by far the best! imho.
That may not be saying much, but that I do say.
The class itself I thought was excellent, I think the best I had to date, and there also was no actual kneeling around. Instructor’s choice I guess...

Content wise I actually quite like the PADI tec(h) manual, although I agree that there's too much padding. Also, I really wish they'd use better images, maybe even occasionally a diver in trim?

One other thing (and there may be cultural differences here) but their visual depiction of the 'I think I'm bent' signal would be considered highly offensive this side of the pond. I showed a non-diver gay friend of mine and he nearly chocked on his cornflakes!

I originally did most of my tech training through PSAI, which was great. The course structures and instructors were excellent, but the manual was definitely inferior.

Sorry for dumb question but what this sign means in gay world?

Well, another opinion:
I completely blew past these kind of pictures and worked the content at the time, first half of the book for a “Fundamentals in Tec” class, (which I quite liked) and at that time formed this opinion:
So, based on content, out of the PADI books I have or have seen, this is by far the best! imho.
That may not be saying much, but that I do say.
The class itself I thought was excellent, I think the best I had to date, and there also was no actual kneeling around. Instructor’s choice I guess...

This thread is just about the materials, not the training.

This thread is just about the materials, not the training.
“So, based on content, out of the PADI books I have or have seen, this is by far the best! imho”

did someone else read that caption on the valve drill image???
this is new to me that if one cannot reach the valves during a valve drill it is advisable to loosen the waist belt and possibly even remove the crotch strap so that the valves can be reached :rofl3:

(though I understand how it can be difficult in some cases to reach the valves when one is upright kneeling on the pool bottom and the weight of the tanks shifts the whole rig downwards :D
I am sure though that the water spirits would not be offended if scuba divers would not kneel to them every now and then and the horizontal trim should thus be fine for all training I think :) as long as one does not pee in the pool one should be fine spirit-wise so no pee valve tests during the pool training please :cheers: )

Sorry for dumb question but what this sign means in gay world?

It used to be a derogatory sign over here aimed at the gay community. Hopefully one of these childish things now assigned to history. Obviously completely unintended by the manuals author and probably an example of same language but different meaning.

I had the "privilege" of going through my Tec course using materials from both agencies. The PADI materials were much better from the learning/teaching standpoint using educational concepts. Obviously they were written with the guidance of a teaching professional. (Note: I am not commenting on the content)

did someone else read that caption on the valve drill image???
this is new to me that if one cannot reach the valves during a valve drill it is advisable to loosen the waist belt and possibly even remove the crotch strap so that the valves can be reached :rofl3:

Loosening the belt to be able to shift the tanks upward is not just a PADI thing, it's sometimes the only way to do it. Depends on suit, undergarments, valve/tank position and shoulder flexibility. I learned it in my distinctly-not-PADI cave class.

-Chris

Loosening the belt to be able to shift the tanks upward is not just a PADI thing, it's sometimes the only way to do it. Depends on suit, undergarments, valve/tank position and shoulder flexibility. I learned it in my distinctly-not-PADI cave class.

-Chris
yeah, I’ve been there with an ill fitting way to small loaner rig ... Embarassing ... - I thought but that’s what it took to get there... for me... Then with a better fitting rig it was still hard but quite more manageable...

On page 61, it actually shows divers KNEELING to do an air share exercise. And page 62 a diver is kneeling on the bottom of the pool working on reaching his valves. WTF? o_O

It's entirely appropriate to Introduce the skill in a stationary position, especially if someone is new to the config. The important part to get right is teh mechanics of the basic skill with minimal distractions. Once this is achieved then the "mastery" is applied while you're neutral.

You should also consider that very few pools used for confined water, have any real depth. many divers struggle to carry out new tasks while being precisely neutral mid water when the pool is only 8' deep

Caveat: I'm not a Tec instructor and thus do not have access to the standards - Just my opinion.

The Copyright Info at the front of the Document suggests it's Circa 2000, so could probably do with some revision and updated images to reflect current thinking and practices

On a side note, I see with lots of manuals and publications (not just dive training) glaring errors that should have been easily picked up by a decent proof reader. It puts my teeth on edge too

Years ago when I was writing technical documents, I was taught proof reading by a gnarly old metallurgist, who when she took her degree in the 60's funded her way by being a proof reader. She could smell a typo or grammatical error at distance and wasn't shy about announcing the fact to you - in front of the whole office with her cheroot hanging out of her mouth. Reliance on computers has made for lazy publications

I still "live in fear" when typing a doc that she'll magically appear and ball me out over minor error

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom