TDI vs PADI tech materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The course material is from 2013 and it has several pages with pictures like these:
o2kneel.jpg tmxkneel.jpg
Even in the trimix manual you will find two ill-chosen pictures. Unfortunately newer revisions of the training materials never came, despite feedback.

@Marie13 take a black marker and blur the pictures on pages 6,60,61,62,120,121,125,128,174, read the rest.

The course material is from 2013
That makes sense as it was said to be up to date in 2016, when I took the class...
... the lacking updates, after plenty feedback ... not so much...
Substance matters a lot, but as the thread shows, so does appearance...

When I did my tech training, the TDI materials were, IMO, poor and the PADI ones nonexistent. The TDI stuff was so lacking that my instructor assigned considerable additional reading material. I complained at BTS to some of the TDI higher-ups. PADI introduced their own tech materials, and then worked on them to improve them. TDI did complete rewrites, hugely improving their books. (I visited the TDI booth again told them I thought they were much better.)

I think both are decent to good now, but I might not have the latest editions of both.

The GUE books are also worth a look. They are not terribly expensive to buy in PDF form. At the risk of bring characterized as "evil" again, I must say I believe the Fundies book is worth reading.

It's entirely appropriate to Introduce the skill in a stationary position, especially if someone is new to the config. The important part to get right is teh mechanics of the basic skill with minimal distractions. Once this is achieved then the "mastery" is applied while you're neutral.

It is also necessary, so they can see the magical "Golden Triangle" of diving. Cause when you are actually in a proper trim position there is no "Golden Triangle"

It used to be a derogatory sign over here aimed at the gay community. Hopefully one of these childish things now assigned to history. Obviously completely unintended by the manuals author and probably an example of same language but different meaning.
what do you use for "I think I am bent"?
I did have to use that bend hand signal once late in the deco from a 200ft dive. I went back down (20ft down to 50ft where the pain abated IIRC) and redid quite a few stops.

When I did my tech training, the TDI materials were, IMO, poor and the PADI ones nonexistent. The TDI stuff was so lacking that my instructor assigned considerable additional reading material. I complained at BTS to some of the TDI higher-ups. PADI introduced their own tech materials, and then worked on them to improve them. TDI did complete rewrites, hugely improving their books. (I visited the TDI booth again told them I thought they were much better.)

I think both are decent to good now, but I might not have the latest editions of both.

The GUE books are also worth a look. They are not terribly expensive to buy in PDF form. At the risk of bring characterized as "evil" again, I must say I believe the Fundies book is worth reading.

How long ago did you do your TDI classes?

How long ago did you do your TDI classes?

I'd have to go dig out the cards, which (sorry) aren't handy. The last tech course, Advanced Trimix, was probably more than 15 years ago. The first, a few years before that.

I'd have to go dig out the cards, which (sorry) aren't handy. The last tech course, Advanced Trimix, was probably more than 15 years ago. The first, a few years before that.

I was just looking for a general idea. Thanks.

The course material is from 2013 and it has several pages with pictures like these:
View attachment 502278 View attachment 502279
Even in the trimix manual you will find two ill-chosen pictures. Unfortunately newer revisions of the training materials never came, despite feedback.

@Marie13 take a black marker and blur the pictures on pages 6,60,61,62,120,121,125,128,174, read the rest.

He might be kneeling because of the big ufo that is landing on his back?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom