TDI vs PADI TecRec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive2617

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I'm currently working as a DM in florida and I've been wanting to begin tech diving for a long time. So a guy I work with teaches both TDI and PADI tec diving and before I begin I wanted opinions on which you guys think is better and why? My goal is to reach 210 ft for a series of wreck dives I've been wanting to do, if that info helps at all. Thanks a bunch!

You'll have to get to Trimix either way, and the material gets covered in different chunks in the two paths, but once you get to Trimix it has all evened out.
The PADI materials are superior, but TDI can be more tuned to your specific needs. One consideration might be what you want to do after DM....if you are going to go the instructor route, with PADI, then the PADI classes might be more helpful. But since your instructor can do both, and he is already selected, it really doesn't make all that much difference right now. You can get going faster with TDI, but when it is all done, you are in the same place with the possible need for the PADI credential to help you on an instructor path.

I am in a similar spot. Should complete my DM this summer and have been Interviewing Tech Instructors. After talking with many most once they go tech they leave PADI. However the instructor that I am likely to go with teaches both PADI and SSI. He prefers the PADI program, according to him the programs are the same but packaged differently but the PADI program is bundled in logical groups.

As I would like to become an instructor some day I think I am going to stick to the PADI program.

The whole PADI idea of making students go past 150 feet on air seems pretty absurd at this date.

Padi Tec50 requires nitrox cert as simulated Deco is on nitrox not air?

The whole PADI idea of making students go past 150 feet on air seems pretty absurd at this date.

They don't "make" you do the dives on air... they "allow" it. (ie They don't "make" you do the dive on TMx.)

I did my final TecDeep dives on TMx, as the shop I trained with requested, and received, a waiver from PADI to allow it.

---------- Post added June 26th, 2015 at 09:09 PM ----------

Padi Tec50 requires nitrox cert as simulated Deco is on nitrox not air?

Nitrox is a prereq for Tec 40 (and Tec 40 and Tec 45 are prereq's for Tec50)

PADI and TDI each have approximately the same depths to which they allow training on air.

There is actually a significant difference between the two at the pre-trimix level. (By the two, I mean TDI Intro to Tech, Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures v. PADI Tec 40, 45, and 50.)

TDI starts students off with a very basic introduction and then works up to the main theory part in Decompression Procedures. There is nearly no prerequisite to taking Intro to Tech or Advanced Nitrox. The content is very much backloaded, with most of the theory at the end of the course sequence (Decompression Procedures). You really can't do any decompression diving until you finish the Intro/Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures series.

PADI has more serious requirements (Deep Diver Specialty or 10 100 foot dives; nitrox experience) to begin the Tech 40 class. There is a lot of theory in Tech 40, and when you are done, you can do some light decompression diving. You're certified to do about the same level of diving at PADI Tec 45 as TDI Decommpression Procedures. Each of the succeeding courses has an increasing level prerequisites. It is possible to complete the TDI Decompression Procedures course and not meet the prerequisites for the PADI Tec 45 course (at least 6 dives deeper than 100 feet), let alone the Tec 50 prerequisites (at least 100 dives, with at least 15 dives deeper than 100 feet). The PADI program has almost all of the real theory work done by Tec 45.

Ten 1000 foot dives? I would imagine the class is taught rarely . . . :)

Reactions: RJP
Ten 1000 foot dives? I would imagine the class is taught rarely . . . :)

Ooops! Fixed it.

I cant speak much at all about either course. I do recall,,, the difference that seamed to matter,,, delt with having to be associated with a shop to teach. So hypothetically ,,, you can teach PADI on your own but you cant with SSI for example. I have heard that if a shop is not a (IE... nauii) shop you cant give a nauii card. This prevents a shop from having all agencies being taught in one shop i guess. Each agency has it requirements concerning instructor permission to teach. Roumor only..... Padi is the easiest, and has been for a long time and hence PADI is seen everywhere. I recall this issue ccoing up when i was persuing a solo cert and the shop was not an SDI shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom