Teaching quality AND quantity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if the shop says two days for OW, then the instructor has to do it. Why bother with agencies and standards?
Page 28, 2017 PADI IM, General Standards and Procedures, page 28:

9. Conduct no more than three open water training dives in a single day, night or combination thereof.

You can do per agency standards, "resort style" which is either pool in the morning (yes, all CW dives in one session) and 1 OW dive in the afternoon, and 3 OW dives the next day.

This isn't a violation. I'm sure I can dig into SSI and SDI standards for similar language.

But why bother with agencies? As divers need a card to go diving with charters or to rent tanks/get tank fills.

And because it can be done in two days, everyone gets a card in two days. Shop says so.

We got along fine when anyone could walk into their local fill station, not all were dive shops, get a fill, and go for a dive. My LDS would still fill my tank well after the “have to have a card rule” was instituted. I got certified to travel, otherwise I might not have a card now.

And because it can be done in two days, everyone gets a card in two days. Shop says so.

We got along fine when anyone could walk into their local fill station, not all were dive shops, get a fill, and go for a dive. My LDS would still fill my tank well after the “have to have a card rule” was instituted. I got certified to travel, otherwise I might not have a card now.
Yeah, my older brother got fills in a gas station in the '60s. When that station closed he went to another one.

Yes, and probably none of those divers is proficient at buoyancy/most skills. They just completed those skills without drowning,but never became proficient. Most agencies are complicit with this when they have subjective performance requirements. It isn't just the instructor (and shop), but also what agencies allow.

Let the buyer beware.

Edit: I remember my OW class where many things were skipped and on the CESA I just breathed normally. We had no instruction whatsoever. I'm laughing now, but shaking my head as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom