Tec Instructor Recommendation - Ontario Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wymen Ho

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve been reading a lot of older posts about the best way to get into tech and it seems like it boils down to the instructor. This also mirrored my experience as of so far. I’ve had ok instructors and really good ones and it’s the really good ones I felt I learned a lot more.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations of really good tec instructors in Ontario, Canada area ideally in the GTA but I’m okay to travel.

Here’s a bit about what I’m looking for...
Currently I’ve been diving deep wrecks with a bit of penetration.
Short term: I’m looking to go deeper past the rec limits and stay longer at depth pushing past ndl. We have been experimenting with a bit of short deco diving but want to get more formal training. I’ll be taking a side mount course later this summer.
Long term: I want to establish a solid foundation that will allow me to get into multi tank cave diving.

What I’m looking for in an instructor: someone who understand the science behind the rules, decent communication skills to effectively explain these theories etc.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wymen

@abnfrog - Steve Simpson is a TDI instructor trainer and I believe he also does PADI tec. He’s in Temagami (north of North Bay). He has a property with frontage on a lake, plus there is a cottage on site for student accommodation. I’m doing Intro to Tech/VIP with him in August, driving all the way from Chicago. I have a local friend here who did an ice diving class with Steve and really liked it. There are several others on the board who’ve taken classes with Steve.

He will interview you, as well as you interviewing him. Our "interview" phone call lasted a LONG time!

Oops - Steve is not cave, but he’s done a good bit of wreck penetration himself.

i've seen guys group trimix multitank diving/training in the olympium in etobicoke. i would say you could go down with Toronto scuba club or aquarius scuba on one of their nights an check it out.

I’ve been reading a lot of older posts about the best way to get into tech and it seems like it boils down to the instructor. This also mirrored my experience as of so far. I’ve had ok instructors and really good ones and it’s the really good ones I felt I learned a lot more.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations of really good tec instructors in Ontario, Canada area ideally in the GTA but I’m okay to travel.

Here’s a bit about what I’m looking for...
Currently I’ve been diving deep wrecks with a bit of penetration.
Short term: I’m looking to go deeper past the rec limits and stay longer at depth pushing past ndl. We have been experimenting with a bit of short deco diving but want to get more formal training. I’ll be taking a side mount course later this summer.
Long term: I want to establish a solid foundation that will allow me to get into multi tank cave diving.

What I’m looking for in an instructor: someone who understand the science behind the rules, decent communication skills to effectively explain these theories etc.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wymen

W.

Contact Matt at Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines...all the tecnical courses...including a good number of the current generation rebreathers...

Probably one of the best if not the best...full stock technical diving shops in Canada...

Warren...

I would think about doing it in Florida. They dive 364 days a year. In Canada, we dive at best 1/2 that. Why get training from someone who is only doing it part time. In cave country you could do your tech training and cavern and intro to cave with some of the best instructors in the world.

I do this full time, im not a "part time instructor "by the way

Central Canada, then definitely Steve Simpson, Steve Lewis and I've heard good things about Dan's Dive shop.

thx for the recommendation jay..........steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom