Tec Side-mount Bungee's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am transitioning from Tec to Tec side mount I have been in the water a couple of times with my Hollis SMS 100 and everything is good except the bungees for the neck of the bottles. I want to be able to have a connection that can carry the weight of the bottles because of a need to do a giant stride.

The SMS 100 came with a single bungee on each side and you have to unclip the bungee wrap it around the valve and reconnect. This is very hard with heavy gloves on. I was able to put some paracord and a bolt on the valve to be able to clip off for giant stride but then once in the water, I disconnect the bolt snap and switch to the bungee. It is OK but I still do not like the bungee. The SMS75 has a looped bungee that looks easier to "wrap" the valve, but that does not help the fixed attachment for giant stride entry.

I am now looking at the ring bungee system for the top. I see there was a single bungee ring system and now there is an adjustable loop ring system. The DiveRite video on the ring system choker shows clipping off to the bungee itself which seems to defeat the purpose.
but the ring system video shows clipping to the ring

I am looking for feedback from people that use and like the ring system. First, how do you clip of your primary side mount tanks? do you clip to ring or bungee and do you use the choker? Then how do you clip off your stage bottles? to the ring or bungee and no choker?

I will likely be diving LP 112 or AL80 for primary side mount, then either 1 AL40 and AL19 or an AL80 and Al40 for stage and deco.

Thanks in advance

I was able to put some paracord and a bolt on the valve to be able to clip off for giant stride but then once in the water, I disconnect the bolt snap and switch to the bungee

This is what I do but with the loop bungy you mentioned. Works well for me with my 15L steels.

I tried ring bungies briefly but found them to have too much unnecessary hardware. The loop bungy is very simple and uncluttered.

I’m not tech though and still figuring sidemount out.

Ring bungees suck. Loop bungees are the way to go. Make a couple safeties around the neck of the tanks and clip them with double enders to your d-rings when you do a giant stride. Taken the double enders off in the water so that the tanks ride correctly.

First of all, the stock bungees that come with the Hollis SM rigs are VERY stiff. Everyone I’ve talked to has replaced them for something a bit thinner and much stretchier. I had to do this with my SMS75.

I don’t unhook my bungee. Just stretch it over the valve (hand wheel). The thinner/stretchier bungee cord makes a huge difference. EDIT: Just noticed you said the SMS100 has a different bungee set up Wasn’t aware of that.

I have my tanks rigged two ways. Dive Rite stage kit OR a cam band. I have a loop of paracord with XL boltsnap around the neck of the tanks rigged with cam band. I like having the hard connection. Really helps when I’m getting geared up. The DR kit has a bolt snap at the top I use as a hard connection.

This is what I do but with the loop bungy you mentioned. Works well for me with my 15L steels.

I tried ring bungies briefly but found them to have too much unnecessary hardware. The loop bungy is very simple and uncluttered.

I’m not tech though and still figuring sidemount out.

Tom_ivan I am curious what type of gloves do you usually dive with?

First of all, the stock bungees that come with the Hollis SM rigs are VERY stiff. Everyone I’ve talked to has replaced them for something a bit thinner and much stretchier. I had to do this with my SMS75.

I don’t unhook my bungee. Just stretch it over the valve (hand wheel). The thinner/stretchier bungee cord makes a huge difference. EDIT: Just noticed you said the SMS100 has a different bungee set up Wasn’t aware of that.

I have my tanks rigged two ways. Dive Rite stage kit OR a cam band. I have a loop of paracord with XL boltsnap around the neck of the tanks rigged with cam band. I like having the hard connection. Really helps when I’m getting geared up. The DR kit has a bolt snap at the top I use as a hard connection.

So I just purchased 3 different thicknesses of bungee cord and 4 thicknesses of paracord. I am going to make 4 stage kits with cam bands. 2 for my steels and 2 for my AL80s.

I am going to make a couple bungee for the wing and the stage kits. By the end of this I will have the secret recipe.

PS 7ml para cord is WAY too thick for stage kits. Knots are too big and do not stay in place. 1st attempt down. I'll figure this out.

I am looking for feedback from people that use and like the ring system. First, how do you clip of your primary side mount tanks? do you clip to ring or bungee and do you use the choker? Then how do you clip off your stage bottles? to the ring or bungee and no choker?

I clip primaries to the ring and use the Dive Rite style stage straps with the DR style chokers. I tried both rings and loops, and this just seemed to work better for me,

I honestly don't stage very often in SM. If I am doing stage dives, I have BM doubles, and stages go right on side rings used the same DR style stage straps.

However, there are times when SM with stages is required, or offers an advantage. I.e. Lower Orange grove, where I staged a richer mix down to 90', but preferred SM to wiggle down the chute into the lower system. In cases like this, or when dragging an AL40 for deco, I clip the neck bolt snap to upper chest D rings and the lower bolt snap is tethered with short section of bungee clips into the butt plate rails, allowing the tank to go under the armpit and ride on top of the primary tank. It actually works better than you might think.

I might be a weirdo, but I'm delightedly happy with the stock bungees on both my Hollis 75 and Hollis 100D.

I don’t unhook my bungee. Just stretch it over the valve (hand wheel).
Agreed. Ain't no need to unclip and do a weird wraparound.

I might be a weirdo, but I'm delightedly happy with the stock bungees on both my Hollis 75 and Hollis 100D.

Agreed. Ain't no need to unclip and do a weird wraparound.

For sms100 single binge the wrap around do you do valves up or down? I do valves up and I tried to just stretch it over the valve but it slides off. So I had to unclip it an wrap.

The other propblem is I wanted a hard connection at the neck so I can walk and giant stride with tanks.

The sms75 comes with loop bungies so it would be easier to wrap.

I made loop bungee and ring bungee and will try them all out this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom