Tech 40 with a Pony Bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey @GeoffreyD.

Not so long ago I explored similar options with various instructors. Even discussed it here on SB and received similar "encouragement."

At that time it seemed to really be up to the instructor. In my experience most instructors want the full package, doubles. But if you can find an instructor willing to work with you and your goals my understanding is that it will meet the PADI requirements.

• Any one of the following appropriately labeled and marked options:
    • A single cylinder with a dual outlet valve (eg H valve or Y valve).

• A single cylinder with single outlet valve and a pony bottle. Pony bottle should have same gas as main cylinder, or be breathable at the deepest planned dive depth. The minimum size cylinder is one with a free gas capacity of 30 cubic feet.

• Back mounted doubles with dual isolator manifold

• Two side mounted cylinders (sidemount configuration)

FWIW I think this is a good option for divers wanting an introduction to more advanced diving or just wanting to make their recreational diving a little safer and start approaching thier dives with a "technical mindset."

Hi OP and uncfnp,

Above is exactly what I was taught during my Tech 40 course. Tech 40 is an intro to tech diving and a comprehensive diving course unlike any I had taken before.

I opted for a single back mounted tank with hog-looped second stage and necklaced back-up second stage. For deep dives we used a 1.6 ata Nitrox and then on other dives we used 50% in the stage bottle. The stage bottle had enough gas to perform an ascent with staged deco if my primary failed. My buddy had redundancy also. This is not an overhead course. Free access to the surface type course.

My instructor thought it was great that I opted to use my rig because I could use a step-by-step process for getting into tech diving. Also, as the cert describes, I am a "tech" diver down to 130 feet. The same depth limit for recreational divers. Unless you are doing an extraordinary task at 130 fsw, why do need a double set to dive that shallow. I am just a recreational diver after all.

I recommend this course for anyone who is serious about their recreational diving. For me, it was much more advantages than a DM cert. It is comprehensive and task oriented.

thanks,
markm

I have to say I prefer to dive doubles universally. I actually feel the set up is better suited to the type of diving in doing. Plus I like the stability. Only problem is getting them from the dc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom