Tech computer: Perdix or Petrel 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on v38 it certainly has the same gas switching options as the Perdix but IIRC the Petrel defaults to the "old style" of gas switching. Super easy to change in the menu's.

And, I did that, quite some time ago.

The operation is identical. I recall the the display is not. But I will try to remember to check tomorrow.

OK, sometimes even *you* guys are right (@boulderjohn and @tbone1004). The gas menu is indeed identical. I don't know why I thought it was different (maybe the Perdix display is sharper and easier for my aging eyes?).

The only other difference I see is that the Shearwater name is in a different color, and the "seconds" bar under the TIME heading is in white on the Perdix, making it much easier to see, and in blue on the Petrel. (Perhaps that will change when I eventually update the Petrel's software.)

There's some crow around there somewhere. Anybody got any salt? Maybe some Grey Poupon?

Over the years, I have noticed it is too rare an occasion when someone politely admits being in error. In many cases, they disappear from conversation. In others, they will doggedly fight for even the most clearly losing causes. I have seen many a "OK, to you it looks white, but to anyone with eyes it is clearly black" response.

If you want to get into a Shearwater, I've got a Predator I'm selling. And the screen is generally regarded as the best looking of all of the Shearwater screens.
That’s not true anymore...:wink:

Last edited:
i-PLDjKGF.png

Because OLED screens have returned with the Teric.

Oh, the computer that is too small for old people to read and nobody can seem to get ahold of...got it.

Edit:
If that comes off as snarky...it was intended that way.

The petrel was touted at first as having a better screen than the predator...not true, but eliminating the need for saft batteries made up for it.

I find it humorous that people jump on the bandwagon of new gear (and even start positively reviewing it) before they ever see one in person, much less use one.

Last edited:
Oh, the computer that is too small for old people to read and nobody can seem to get ahold of...got it.
Actually, it is VERY readable - better display than my Perdix - especially if viewing off axis (as you commonly will):

i-5FF8LQX-M.jpg

i-tdvRTXD-M.jpg

Also, if you are persistent and check around, you can likely find one in a a reasonable timeframe - check DGX frequently as they accept orders once they have an inbound shipment confirmed - my brother-in-law got one within 4 days 2 weeks ago that way. BTW - my brother in law also has bad vision and found a Petrel 2 I let him borrow last year hard to read - but loves his Teric and has no issues reading it.

I’m not suggesting the OP needs to get one - but wanted to correct the false size/readability issue I’ve seen mentioned here as it is really not true.

Mine looks as good as my old Predator, no doubt about it. I'll get back to you after Palau in September.

(FWIW, I've never heard anybody claim that the Petrel had a better screen than the Predator. I thought the change was driven by lack of availability of the OLED screens at the time.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom