Tech Diving for Seniors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my suggestion is rather them looking at it from a weight point of view look at it from a support point of view

Places like truk lagoon and most Live on boards have great crew support and are incentivised to help you by the hope of a decent tip, compare that with say sump diving where you carry all your stuff or shore diving where you have to carry all your own stuff down the beach and entry/ exit through possible surf.
reality is some dives are too much fro me because im not as fit or strong as i was so i cut my suit to fit my cloth.
As much as i want to go on caving expeditions - i just dont want to hold up my buddies or rely on them to carry my excess weight, so i pick my dive trips with that in mind

my suggestion is rather them looking at it from a weight point of view look at it from a support point of view

Places like truk lagoon and most Live on boards have great crew support and are incentivised to help you by the hope of a decent tip, compare that with say sump diving where you carry all your stuff or shore diving where you have to carry all your own stuff down the beach and entry/ exit through possible surf.
reality is some dives are too much fro me because im not as fit or strong as i was so i cut my suit to fit my cloth.
As much as i want to go on caving expeditions - i just dont want to hold up my buddies or rely on them to carry my excess weight, so i pick my dive trips with that in mind

In Mexico, you can hire porters to schlepp your stuff up and down all the steps to the cenotes. 500 pesos/US $25 a day when I was there in 2022 for my full cave class. Worth every penny.

I’m turning 69 in September and in pretty good health. No high blood pressure or heart issues. Started diving in my mid-teens 50 years ago but gave it up in late 20’s for career, family etc. Got back into it 4 years ago and got advanced, deep, wreck and Nitrox certified and am thinking about tech. Have read a lot about decompression theory but know nothing about getting tech certified. Im a little overweight and my leg strength isn’t great but for almost 69 not too bad. How physically demanding is tech training? I strain a little to get up a dive boat ladder with a steel 100 on my back. I question if i could do it unassisted with doubles on my back and deco bottles to boot. Should i just stick to recreational? Thanks for any insight.
Strictly Sidemount for me, too old for doubles.
On and off the boat with 1 tank if that. The other 3 get passed down.
Practice required on sorting in the water but it did get easier.

Strictly Sidemount for me, too old for doubles.
On and off the boat with 1 tank if that. The other 3 get passed down.
Practice required on sorting in the water but it did get easier.
Do you do a giant stride getting in? How about getting out, no climbing a ladder with tanks dangling off you?

Do you do a giant stride getting in? How about getting out, no climbing a ladder with tanks dangling off you?
Typically some flavor of giant stride getting in.

For doffing gear you have a few options:
1. Climb with tanks attached (by far the worst option)
2. De-kit and clip tanks off to a line off the boat to be pulled aboard, and climb out with only your harness
3. Hand your tanks off to boat crew from the water one at a time

Option 2/3 are preferable, but will depend on crew & setup

Back
Top Bottom