Tech fin options - neutral buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been using Atomic Blade fins, for wetsuit diving, since I started diving. I really like them and I feel like they work pretty well for tech kicks. But, in the pool this weekend, I was looking at them as I was kicking and it seems like they flex a lot more than I would have thought they did. And I am starting to wonder if my poor ability to back fin may have a little bit to do with the fins. Actually, I need to inspect them and make sure they haven't cracked or something to make them more flexy than they used to be.

I use Hollis F1 fins when diving dry, but I don't want such a negative fin for diving in a wetsuit. Thus (one reason) why I am not looking at ScubaPro Jet fins, also.

I want something that is roughly neutral, gives good power, and is good for back finning. And has a comfortable foot pocket for wearing with a 5mm bootie.

I would try the Deep6 Eddy fins. But, they are off the table as I want/need to stick to fins that I can buy through my shop.

This is the list of options I have come up with so far:

Hollis F1 LT
Apeks RK3
Dive Rite XT
OMS Slipstream

I am leaning towards trying the DR XTs. I am afraid the F1 LT fins are possibly too short to give good power and/or too floppy (i.e. not stiff enough). The RK3 and Slipstreams look like Jet clones and I don't really know much about the specifics of either one. And I have read many, many positive things about the XTs - plus, a number of the instructors from my shop use them and seem to think very highly of them.

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on choosing between these?

Thanks!

Can't you borrow a set from your shops instructors to try?

I think so and I probably will. I am just looking for suggestions to narrow my focus. I don't want to spend the next 8 weekends trying a big pile of different fins. And I don't want to just try one set, like them, buy them, and then find out there was something else I should have looked at that I might like even better.

Plus 1 for the Apex

I also own XT's which are negative, and also quite hard to back fin in because of their length (and probably my poor technique)

I use my Apex a lot for "easy diving" I find them to be a great all rounder, however when it's time to play in current then only the XT for me

The Apex are pretty negative I leave them in the pool and they just hang below the surface. I find them a pleasing fin to dive in, with lots of control

If you made me give up one fin then it's be the RK3 I'd have to keep the XT, but I like them both and can recomend them both

Heck, just buy both :)

the Atomic Blades are definitely flexy, they're designed to snap back during a flutter kick. Not the best option for tech diving since our kick is very different than a flutter.

I have the HOG and Poseidon versions of the Apeks RK3, same fin, same mfg, different logo. They're not bad for wreck diving because they're small and very maneuverable but I can't actually get any power out of them to kick through current or get any sort of speed. They are now loaner fins.
Hollis is a good fin, but way too expensive, so that one is out.

So you have two options really in my opinion
Deep6 fin. I absolutely love mine, they are incredible. VERY maneuverable and huge step up from the Jet Fins and OMS Slipstreams that I have
Dive Rite XT, I also absolutely love this fin and go back and forth between it and the Deep6 fins regularly as I haven't 100% committed to one.

For me, the XT doesn't come in big enough of a foot pocket for any cold water or drysuit diving so it is always squeezing my foot a little bit. I use it mainly if I am going to be kicking somewhere. I.e. if I'm doing a non dpv cave dive, or out in open water chasing students I find it to be a much more powerful fin than my Deep6 fins because of the way the blade is shaped. They are very long and would not be my first choice for wreck diving.
I use the Deep6 fins when I'm on a DPV because I feel like I have much more control with them in terms of being able to turn, back up etc. I choose these when diving in OW as well when I'm not going to be kicking around a lot, but want my kicks to be very accurate, i.e. for any wreck diving, these would get the nod.

I use Hollis F1 fins when diving dry, but I don't want such a negative fin for diving in a wetsuit. Thus (one reason) why I am not looking at ScubaPro Jet fins, also.

strangely enough, and much to my surprise, the jet fins Just Work with our dry suits, 5mm wet suits, and lavacore skins. the 5mm wet boots we're using are quite floaty, which likely offset the negativeness of the jets a bit. of course, YMMV.

Hollis is a good fin, but way too expensive, so that one is out.

Are you talking about the F1, or the F1 LT (which is shorter, lighter, and close to neutrally buoyant)?

I haven't checked dealer cost yet, but the normal price is only $10 more for the F1 LT than for the DR XTs.

Between the Eddy, the F1 LT, and the XT, which one do you think is better for back finning? And which is second best?

Are you talking about the F1, or the F1 LT (which is shorter, lighter, and close to neutrally buoyant)?

I haven't checked dealer cost yet, but the normal price is only $10 more for the F1 LT than for the DR XTs.

Between the Eddy, the F1 LT, and the XT, which one do you think is better for back finning? And which is second best?

the F1 LT was listed at $170 and you can get the XT's for $145 from Cave Adventurers on the website.

I can backup faster in the XT's, but have more control in the Eddy's. I haven't had them in the water next to an LT, but I can backup faster in the Eddy's than I can in the normal F1's which should be faster than the LT's since they're bigger

Thanks, tbone. I will buy whatever I get at staff cost at my shop. I suspect the F1 LT and XTs aren't much different on price.

But, I will borrow some XTs and try them before I buy anything.

Thanks, DD and muzik, too. I'll try the XTs and if I like them, I think I'll just go with those. If I don't like them (foot pocket uncomfortable or whatever), then I'll give the Apeks a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom