Tech Gear for Cave Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to tech diving and I'm looking to buy some gear. Because the closest tech shops are 3+ hours away, I'm looking for some advice. I eventaully want to go Full Cave and Trimix/Deep, but I'm not sure about equipment. Because of the cost, I don't want to rush and buy the wrong setup. And I don't want to upgrade in a year! I've talked with two shops who bashed the others gear, so I'm just trying to find more info! I'm mainly focused on the main equipment (backplate, regs, and computer). I think I've narrowed it down, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've read a lot about equipment requirements, but I'm looking for actual models, etc...that way I can look more at the product.

Backplate

Regs

Computer

Lastly, I'm thinking of going with Steel 100 HP and 19cu for Argon. Any thoughts with this going into caves? I'm about 6'0 230.

I'm not cave certified, just starting intro to tech, but I can tell you the deluxe harness isn't ideal, just get the standard harness on your backplate and be done with it. The regs looks good, both are good quality, but I personally wouldn't get the Tek 3's. I would just get DS4's if you want to stick with Apeks. Talk to you potential instructors, you may not have any use for a high end computer like those right now, if at all.

Get a simple backplate and Hogarthian harness. The Halcyon link you posted would be fine.

The Apeks Tec 3 regs will work well but I would save some money and get 2 DS4's/ATX 50's

Dont buy a computer yet.You will almost certainly be training using a bottom timer and tables.Do buy a copy of V-Planner!
I wouldn't dive a Cochran if somebody gave me one.

Double LP104's/HP130's (essentially the same tank) are very popular in caves. Basically the biggest tank you can carry!

Backplates: I would not go w/ any of those. The Zeagle plate is fine, but the harness is not optimal. I would stay away from the Transpac or any other soft pack if you are diving doubles. You will pay a premium for an H plate and I think AL plates are better suited for cave country. I would get a good AL plate w/ a hogarthian harness. I don't know who you are training with or what agency but nobody will run you out of cave country for diving a one piece harness. Some instructors may have a problem if you don't. You also want to match a good wing with no bungees or bands or anything else. No quick dumps and cut the little ball off the rear dump. Personally, I dive a Salvo plate and harness w/ an Agir-Brokk wing. I think AL is better for drysuit diving and steel doubles. You can throw on a tail weight for trim without overweighting the rig.

Regs: I agree w/ Jimmer. Nothing wrong w/ Tek3 but DS4's are a tech diving staple. If you go full cave and deep you are going to need stages. It's a lot easier to have a small fleet of interchangeable DS4's then it is to maintain Tek3's plus regs that are suitable for single cylinders. Regs become a commodity item with that kind of diving, not the centerpiece of your rig.

Computers: You don't need any of those yet. It will take you at least a couple of years of caving before you are full cave and doing trimix dives. If you are doing mix dive in open water, it will prob be a squarish profile so a BT and tables will do. I would get a good 2-gas computer (Nitek Duo or any of the copies, of which there are many). That will serve you well in the caves and will let you deco out on O2. This will save you well over a grand and trust me, you will need it.

As for your tanks, doubled 100's for a guy your size won't get you too far, especially at the Intro level. I would go w/ LP104s/108s or HP130's. You don't need a 19cf bottle for inflation, especially w/ those 100's. Depending on how you mount it, most people use a 6cf bottle (bp or harness mount) or 13cf (mounted to the doubles). If you do any wreck diving or are concerned with entanglement, I would go w/ the BP mounted 6cf bottle.

I would suggest you talk this stuff over w/ your instructor. The stuff that will break the bank is all the other stuff you need. The drysuit, the fins and spring straps, primary and backup lights, primary and jump/gap/safety reels, cutting devices, deco and stage bottles with regs, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't stuff. Make your purchases wisely and make sure you will get some mileage out of them.

Good luck!

*EDIT* Ian and I must have been writing at the same time... sorry for the repeated info.

Decide on an instructor and get what he wants you to! Then when you want to make adjustments go ahead! I would rent until you find what works for you!

Asking for opinions on tech gear will get you as many as the people you ask.... Here are mine.

Backplate, harness and wing as simple as possible. Buy a good set and it will last years. Salvo, Halcyon, DiveRite, DSS, Golem, Oxycheq all sell good stuff.

Tanks for cave diving 95's, 108's are most dived. AL80's will serve well for stages. Drysuit is probably needed given that many caves get cold after an hour or so and deep trimix dives will run a long time.

Get a simple computer/bottom timer, most profiles will run that way. You can buy a computer, but make sure it can grow with your diving. A software planning tool is most helpful, but not needed at this time.

Buy a stiff set of fins, no splits in the caves.

As for regs, buy the best you can afford, but no need to go over the top. Most regs nowadays are of top quality and with regular servicing, they will last a long time.

You may want to look into a light at some point.

All in all, tech diving is expensive, be prepared to keep buying gear as you go forward.

Thanks for everyone that has replied so far! I'm looking forward to reading more opinions!

Getting into tech, sometimes I feel like I'm a new diver again; overhwlemed with the equipment choices, etc. I'm out of my league enough where I can't tell if the potential instructor is giving me their opinion or sales pitch!

I'm out of my league enough where I can't tell if the potential instructor is giving me their opinion or sales pitch!

Then perhaps you should think of backing off this course of diving until you have more experience. Because if you don't know if they are throwing you a sales pitch, you won't be able to critically evaluate the instruction you are receiving either.

Thanks for everyone that has replied so far! I'm looking forward to reading more opinions!

Getting into tech, sometimes I feel like I'm a new diver again; overhwlemed with the equipment choices, etc. I'm out of my league enough where I can't tell if the potential instructor is giving me their opinion or sales pitch!
It is quite overwhelming and expensive. I do my checkout cavern dives in a few weeks so I can tell you it is a lot to consider. If you live in cave country I would go and see what everyone else is diving and look at several of the cave shops. And be prepard to drop 3k to get setup or more. If your not in a place to see what it takes then I would listen to PerroneFord. I had the advantage that most of the people I dive with are cave divers, but I still consulted with my instructor on buying. Enjoy the adventure if you investigate it.

I eventaully want to go Full Cave and Trimix/Deep, but I'm not sure about equipment. Because of the cost, I don't want to rush and buy the wrong setup. ... I'm mainly focused on the main equipment (backplate, regs, and computer). I think I've narrowed it down, but I'm open to other suggestions. Backplate
A lot of folks recommend a simple one piece hog harness, and they are great. I personally find them a bit more difficult to get out of with a drysuit, and have opted for an OMS deluxe harness - yes, with plastic quick releases on the shoulder straps (oh, the shame of it all) - for drysuit diving. As others have said, stick with a backplate and wing, rather than a soft harness like the Transpac (which is a great piece of gear, just not as recommendable for the tec rig as a straight BP). I have a couple of OMS BPs, a Dive Rite and a home made and there is minimal difference (except AL vs Steel). I have an Explorer 55 and like it a lot, but Oxycheq makes good wings, as does Dive Rite, and Deep Sea Supply is very good. You may buy a wing and later sell it - not 'upgrade', just decide to try something different, so don't close the door on that possible eventuality.
toddr:
You've gotten lots of comments on your reg choices. They are not bad, however, just not what others may dive. I like Apeks myself, but also have a set of Zeagle 50Ds that I like for tec as well. Lots of good choices out there. If you go Apeks, you might think about the XTX 200 as well.
toddr:
The Nitek X promises a lot but still hasn't appeared. I have a Nitek He which I really like, it is just hard to read U/W. I agree with the several posters who say wait on the computer. A good bottom timer (and back-up) is more important at the start. I also dive a Suunto Vytec which gives me plenty of support for non-trimix deco diving. The bottom line - there are lots of simple options, and I probably wouldn't jump into the expense of a Nitek X (or VR3, or Cochran) right away.
Lastly, I'm thinking of going with Steel 100 HP and 19cu for Argon. Any thoughts with this going into caves? I'm about 6'0 230.
Steel 100s are great tanks. But, I agree with the observations that you will probably want as much gas as possible, and HP 130s are an attractive option. The 19 for Argon / air seems a bit much. I would suggest a 6, or maybe a 13.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom