Tech Gear for Cave Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
Read this first. You don't need to take a GUE course to dive caves, although it is highly recommended, but the equipment requirements are all you will ever need. If you can't get a deal on any of this gear at your LDS, it is all available online.

Not sure I agree with any of these statements, for the following reasons:

1) It is highly recommended by GUE or other GUE trained divers that you take GUE cave training... but that's about it. The majority of cave divers are trained through the other major cave agencies

2) There is much more to GUE training than just equipment. The "DIR" equipment configuration predates both GUE and the DIR moniker. To me, its the standardized procedures that really defines GUE. So I don't think it is fair to point someone to GUE and say "all you need to know is the equipment".

3) Following the GUE equipment recommendations (or any configuration for that matter) blindly without understanding the "why" is pretty pointless. It's a great place to start and a lot of people end up buying in and sticking to it, but that is something that you need to get to on your own. These are the types of in-depth conversations you should be having with your instructor. Go down that checklist and ask "why" these items are there.

Sorry for the rant, I've just seen that link posted too many times as the ultimate answer to all equipment questions.

Don't bother with anything from Zeagle

I prefer LP tanks over HP but I have both, the advantage of LP's is trying to get a HP fill some places (banks can be low)

First off, I hate seeing blanket statements like don't bother with anything from such and such company. Zeagle makes great gear, and their backplates with a hog harness, and a 55 pound Manta wing is used by plenty of tech divers. Their regs are absolutely FANTASTIC too.

As for the statement about LP and HP tanks, that's another dumb comment. Let's say the banks are low, they only have 3000psi in them. You could have HP130's filled to 3000 or you can have LP108's filled to 2640 if the shop doesn't overfill. The "low" HP tanks still have more gas in them than the "full" lp tanks, and the tanks are the same size. Even if the shop does over fill the 108's to 3000, then amount in both tanks at 3000 is so close, it's hardly worth a discussion.

Sorry for the rant, I've just seen that link posted too many times as the ultimate answer to all equipment questions.

In this case, I don't think your rant was particularly warranted. The OP asked a question about what gear to buy. If any diver were to make a shopping list off the GUE equipment list, it is more than likely than every cave training agency out there will have no problems with gear configuration. OTOH, a diver equipped with an assortment of other tech-oriented gear may or may not run into agencies and/or instructors that rightly or wrongly disagree with their configuration.

MaxBottomtime made reference to the GUE list saying that ".. the equipment requirements are all you will ever need". I don't think he was saying that the only thing you'll ever need from GUE is the equipment list. He was saying that if you get the equipment listed by GUE, you won't be wasting any money buying something that you'll need to replace because it was the "wrong type".

That's exactly what I meant. Everything on the GUE list will suit anyone who wishes to take up cave/tech diving. You can use the equipment listed and never have to upgrade or find out later that you need something else instead.
The training is another question altogether. I was only trying to help the OP with his gear questions.

Toddr, Do not buy anything just yet.

Talk with your instructor, talk to several instructors to what may be available locally. A good instructor will know of several different brands that can do the job. In fact go further then this and talk to instructors who are not related to any LDS. PM me if you want and I'd be happy to talk with you and explain how you can save some money and headaches in buying this type of gear.

Above all think about what you want to get out of diving and where you want your diving to go

Please accept my retraction of the comment regards ZEAGLE. imho I wouldn't own anything from Zeagle
My opnion of LP's vs HP's stands.
But thanks for the explanation about the difference in volume and pressure in a tank.
GDI has the best advice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom