Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why can't a TDI instructor have a DM be a student's buddy?
Wouldn’t a a divemaster be a student then? Given that DM is a rec cert and we’re discussing tech classes?

Wouldn’t a a divemaster be a student then? Given that DM is a rec cert and we’re discussing tech classes?
I think he means a DM who has previously completed the course.

I meant a TDI Divemaster who is qualified to act as an assistant, for the particular course, to the instructor. Which, by TDI standards would indeed mean that the DM had completed the course he or she was assisting with. Or, I *think*, with ratios that meet TDI standards, it could be a TDI Divemaster Candidate (who has completed the diver level course in question).

I meant a TDI Divemaster who is qualified to act as an assistant, for the particular course, to the instructor. Which, by TDI standards would indeed mean that the DM had completed the course he or she was assisting with. Or, I *think*, with ratios that meet TDI standards, it could be a TDI Divemaster Candidate (who has completed the diver level course in question).
I’m curious how that works.

I’m curious how that works.

What? A tech instructor having 2 students in the water at once, one who is (for example) a Trimix Diver and a Divemaster Candidate, and the other who is a Trimix Student?

What? A tech instructor having 2 students in the water at once, one who is (for example) a Trimix Diver and a Divemaster Candidate, and the other who is a Trimix Student?
I meant that the divemaster is not a student, but instead as an assistant, acting as a dive buddy to the other student. How does this designation work? I've heard of people doing it, but it doesn't seem clear, but I haven't dug into many tec standards (though I'm starting to).

Can't do Tech with only one student , the foundation of Tech is the team and your so called instructor is not part of the team period. You need like minded teammates with same skill set that have passed prerequisite in water skills to have a good Tech class.

I'll drop in to suggest this might be a philosophy of diving which is dominant in some training organizations and less so in others.

To illustrate a little boldly: I planned to do majority of my tech diving solo. Training towards this goal and gaining experience self reliant, I don't do team mindset naturally. In this regard I sought out likeminded instructors and those willing to offer private classes.

I'd team dive if I had a strong team to regularly dive with and gain confidence in their abilities. More importantly our own ability to be stronger/safer/better as a team than solo.

I don't want to inflame. Thinking how philosophy plays a significant part in how we view the various agency's curriculum.

It is in interesting talk to have with perspective instructors. Be sure they are enthusiastic in teaching the style of diving you intend to do. Or be willing to change your mindset.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom