TechDive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In Central Florida, I see a lot of Dive Rite and Zeagle gear on the Cave divers, and OW Deep Divers, and of course Shearwater.

What gear do they use in the rest of the world? I am just curious, as I am at the point in my life I can travel a lot, and want to make sure the gear I get can be serviced over seas.

Apeks regs very popular from what I call tell. Seem to be able to be serviced just about anywhere.

Apeks regs, Perdix and Dive Rite wings and harness, in my case.
Otherwise, Hollis and Apeks wings are popular as well...

I’ve travelled the world and generally you’ll always see Aqua Lung, Scubapro, mares and Cressi.

Apeks and Scubapro very popular regs in the UK. OMS, Apeks, Halcyon wings with Finnsub starting to make inroads.
Shearwater, Suunto and OSTC for dive comps
OThree and Otter popular drysuits in the south

I'd caution against buying a new Apeks first stage right now. I've personally had 4 seat failures in the last year and know a guy that's had 6. Older ones should be fine as long as they haven't been rebuilt using the new seats.

OTOH, I'll be running a sale on a few Apeks regs later this week... So maybe it's a good time to buy!

I'd caution against buying a new Apeks first stage right now. I've personally had 4 seat failures in the last year and know a guy that's had 6. Older ones should be fine as long as they haven't been rebuilt using the new seats.

OTOH, I'll be running a sale on a few Apeks regs later this week... So maybe it's a good time to buy!

That's a bit worrying. Do you know if it's a part or assembly fault? Haven't heard anything over here but will keep an ear open for sure. Also, have they issued a recall in the States?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

No recall, yet. The issues all seem to have started about 2 years ago. I know of at least one CCR manufacturer that ditched Apeks after he had a first stage blow up on him. Anecdotally, if you can get your hands on older rebuild kits and replace the seat with those, you should be good.

It's truly a shame, I've got some Apeks regs that are 25 years old and work flawlessly.

I'm actually fairly surprised to hear people running Zeagle gear for tech. Not that it's bad by any means. I personally dive a Zeagle Brigade BC myself and love it for the type of diving I do. Just usually hear more about Dive Rite, Apeks, ScubaPro, OMS, and Hollis for tech gear.

I’ve travelled the world and generally you’ll always see Aqua Lung, Scubapro, mares and Cressi.

He said "tech dive gear" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom