Technical Diving in the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30m is already too shallow for sportsdiving. With the extremely high prices and this stupid rule, Maldives is not directly at my list. I have been in more remote areas than the maldives and sometimes they require that you know how a full face mask works for in water recompression.

My interest depends on a couple of things:

- What is there to see that interests me (mainly wrecks and/or caves) in the technical range.
- Can they accomodate logistically and practically technical diving (both OC = He and CCR = sofnolime/He, etc).
- Will there be organisations/setups willing to adjust their normal dive organisation (2-4 short dives per day vs 1 very long dive per day, smaller groups, etc).

And finally what is the unique selling proposition. What triggers me is wrecks, so if they have something nice/unique to offer that would trigger me. If it's just deep to go deep I'm not interested, if training or courses require warm water / good vis well there are plenty warm water/good vis spots closer by that are cheaper (red sea).

I am an instructor an DM, who worked at Maldives in resorts for 5 years (1985÷1989), with Club Vacanze, which at the time was one of the biggest tour operator, running simultanously several resorts: Alimatha, Digghiri, Boduhiti, Kudahiti, Gangehi.
At the time there were no regulations. Club Vacanze did follow Fipsas-Cmas recreational limits: 50 meters, in couples (no solo), with deco on back gas (no accelerated deco).​
We had oxygen on every dhoni, and a two-compartments deco chamber in Alimatha.​
Please consider that according to CMAS regulations all this was fully recreational: tech diving did involve going below 50m with gas mixtures (He), and performing accelerated deco in pure oxygen.​
My opinion, based on those 5 years of experience, is that allowing for depths down 50m and some amount of deco opens the possibility to some excellent dive sites, which are now unfeasible with current limits.​
So coming back to standard CMAS rec limit is definitely a good idea.​
Personally instead I do not see any compelling reason for true tech diving, going below 50m using helium mixtures, or using additional tanks with hyperoxygenated mixtures for accelerated deco.​
So please, if we could simply come back to the same limits we had in the eighties, I would be very happy..​

Not strictly a tech diving related requirement but posting here:

I will be doing one week of shore diving in Maldives late next month in November before I jump on a Liveaboard. Recreational limits but with a BP/W long hose configuration (All brand new own gear from the regs to my undies).

I’ve been diving only jacket style BCDs so far hence I am looking for an island based dive shop that dives with BP/W and some dive staff with some tech experience to lead my dives. The idea is to dial in my gear configuration and trim with some practice dives over a few days of diving before I hit the LOB. I am not sure how my brand new regs will breathe either and need some check dives for the two 1st and three 2nd stages.

I’ve got everything setup and configured as per the commonly recommended DIR best practices as far as regs, long hose, necklace, D-Clips, bolt snaps and knots etc go, but mental prep and living room checks are one thing and actual muscle memory and performance when in the water another. So I will still need to practice and fine tune how I stow and deploy the reef hook and DSMB on the new gear configuration based on practical experience and corrections advised from another person. More so considering that Maldives has some strong currents.

Can somebody recommended me a dive shop, person and location where I could do this?

Thanks

Not strictly a tech diving related requirement but posting here:

I will be doing one week of shore diving in Maldives late next month in November before I jump on a Liveaboard. Recreational limits but with a BP/W long hose configuration (All brand new own gear from the regs to my undies).

I’ve been diving only jacket style BCDs so far hence I am looking for an island based dive shop that dives with BP/W and some dive staff with some tech experience to lead my dives. The idea is to dial in my gear configuration and trim with some practice dives over a few days of diving before I hit the LOB. I am not sure how my brand new regs will breathe either and need some check dives for the two 1st and three 2nd stages.

I’ve got everything setup and configured as per the commonly recommended DIR best practices as far as regs, long hose, necklace, D-Clips, bolt snaps and knots etc go, but mental prep and living room checks are one thing and actual muscle memory and performance when in the water another. So I will still need to practice and fine tune how I stow and deploy the reef hook and DSMB on the new gear configuration based on practical experience and corrections advised from another person. More so considering that Maldives has some strong currents.

Can somebody recommended me a dive shop, person and location where I could do this?

Thanks
The concept of a "dive shop" is not usual at Maldives. Perhaps you can find one in the capital island, Male', where indeed diving is not particularly appealing (it is quite horrible, frankly).
There are more than 2000 islands, most of them are not inhabited. The inhabited ones are of two types:
- luxury touristic resorts, where you book lodging for a few days, usually in full pension, and where you find professional diving centres, affiliated with PADI or other organizations.
- islands where native Maldivians live, which usually have quite poor touristic support (some of them are fully closed to tourists), you can perhaps get lodging in a quite primitive guest house. On these islands, you mostly do snorkelling, as there are no professional diving centres. If you own your tank, perhaps you can find some island where some local can give you an air fill.
If I can afford it, I would go in a resort. It can be quite pleasant and relaxing, with excellent food and any sort of amusement. I spent several months of my life working in these resorts, and it was really nice. Possibly when you fly back home, you will find that the time spent at the resort was better than the time spent on the LOB.
In a resort most diving, apart the initial check dive, is done from Dhoni, the typical Maldivian boat. This is a quite good platform, and you will find it much easier than shore diving.
At Maldives usually no or minimal diving suit is used. And a single small tank is employed, as the depth is limited to 30m max (often much less), and no deco. This means that the variation is buoyancy is minimal, and during the dive most people do not employ their BCD at all.
In reality, the BCD is mandatory for only one reason: if, at the end of the dive, you do not find the boat waiting for you, you have to stay afloat for some long time before you are rescued. So you do not really need a BCD; a simple "safety jacket" to be filled only in such an emergency. is all that is required.
That's the reason for which at Maldives the usage of a very small bladder is recommended: better to minimize the drag in case of currents, and to be as much streamlined as possible, than to use a bulky jacket of a large wing. For the same reasons you should wear only a highly hydrodynamic protective suit, or stay naked. And use long freediving fins. In a few places like in Maldives, "less is more".

At Maldives usually no or minimal diving suit is used. And a single small tank is employed, as the depth is limited to 30m max (often much less), and no deco. This means that the variation is buoyancy is minimal, and during the dive most people do not employ their BCD at all.
In reality, the BCD is mandatory for only one reason: if, at the end of the dive, you do not find the boat waiting for you, you have to stay afloat for some long time before you are rescued. So you do not really need a BCD; a simple "safety jacket" to be filled only in such an emergency. is all that is required.
That's the reason for which at Maldives the usage of a very small bladder is recommended: better to minimize the drag in case of currents, and to be as much streamlined as possible, than to use a bulky jacket of a large wing.
Thanks for the inputs based on your experience. But my sole objective is to acquire a comfort level with my newly acquired gear (at great cost) to be able to safely perform dives in moderate to strong currents regardless of whether it is the best suited for that environment. I expect to use this gear for the next decade everywhere I go thus the focus of my post was singularly about breaking-in the gear safely in relatively less challenging dives before taking on the challenge of throwing myself into whatever waters and conditions the LOB dive itinerary exposes me to.

I believe I have found a lead I can follow offline to achieve this goal once I am there. So the matter is settled for me now,

Cheers

I would definitely like to be allowed to go beyond 30 m/100 feet when I am on a Maldives liveaboard in February, but I guess that won't be allowed yet (if at all).

@Pearlman is there a pool that you can practice in with your new gear? Maybe a very experienced mentor to guide you or a coaching session with an instructor well versed in the setup?

I found that the transition to bp/w from a women's back-inflate BC 12 years ago to be nothing at all, other than customizing the fit for me. If the top of the bp is around even with your shoulder blades; the harness is not too tight (you can fit at least a couple of fingers under the strap and the shoulder straps pull off easily); but the crotch strap is snug, that's most of the fitting. Then adjust the D-rings to where you can grab easily (including above, not in your armpits), and there's the rest.

You could work out your weight amount/placement/whether you want weight pockets on the tank camband in the pool/locally, and you'd be more squared away when you start.

Learning to do S-drills with a long hose took me more teaching and practice with a GUE instructor and mentors, but you might be a faster learner with sequences.

Enjoy your holiday!

@Pearlman is there a pool that you can practice in with your new gear? Maybe a very experienced mentor to guide you or a coaching session with an instructor well versed in the setup?

I found that the transition to bp/w from a women's back-inflate BC 12 years ago to be nothing at all, other than customizing the fit for me.

Learning to do S-drills with a long hose took me more teaching and practice with a GUE instructor and mentors, but you might be a faster learner with sequences.

Enjoy your holiday!

Yep doing something like the above. I don’t expect the BP/W to be challenging by itself just exactly what you said above… all set and planned for now. Being a desk-job bound person in a landlocked location in daily life best to employ a cautious approach. Hence my post.

Thanks

I expect to use this gear for the next decade everywhere I go thus the focus of my post was singularly about breaking-in the gear safely in relatively less challenging dives before taking on the challenge of throwing myself into whatever waters and conditions the LOB dive itinerary exposes me to.
This is a reasonable approach, better to get used to your equipment in a benign environment.
On the other hand, the idea to use exactly the same equipment for any kind of diving in different places around the world is entirely wrong.
One should adapt the equipment and the behaviour (kicking style, breathing technique, navigating using hands instead of feet, usage of the BCD and of the tanks) depending on the specific requirements of the environment.
Diving at Maldives in a channel with strong current is quite different from a technical dive inside a cave or on a deep wreck, in cold water.
Using a dry suit at Maldives could become easily dangerous.
Also insisting on frog kicking against the current is truly dangerous, I have seen some of my customers emptying their tank while attempting to do that (without success, of course), and then I or my wife had to recover them...
So please, during these initial dives for getting accustomed to your new equipment, ask to the local dive master or instructor for guidance, and not be scared to do something different from your cold water training (if any), as that is a quite different environment.

...Also insisting on frog kicking against the current is truly dangerous, I have seen some of my customers emptying their tank while attempting to do that (without success, of course), and then I or my wife had to recover them...

Anyone who can do a frog kick should also know how to do a DIR/GUE flutter kick and other kicks which are designed to work in a current.

Is there any agency that promotes frog kicking in a strong current?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom