Technical question re: Raja ampat vs komodo south in feb 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E.G.P

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wife and I are planning a trip to indonesia in February, 2017. We are young (30s), fit, and reasonably experienced travellers and trekkers, but had never gotten around to obtaining scuba certification until recently. As a result, we're novice open water certified divers, and are trying to figure out exactly what type of diving trips in southeastern indonesia make the most sense for us. I've been focusing on raja ampat vs. Komodo as the primary two options, likely on liveaboard but could entertain the idea of a nice, ideally situated eco-lodge as well. We're relatively flexible on cost, less so on schedule. Probably not looking for budget options - we're happy to pay more to ensure the best possible experience.

Raja ampat seems straight forward this time of year with plenty of boats and a few good looking dive resorts as well (pulau pef, misool eco-lodge).

Komodo seems more complicated. I've read that february is the 'wet' seadon in komodo, and as such, most liveaboards head to raja ampat. However, it also seems that a minority of companies stick around to dive in the southern waters of the park which warm/clear up at this time of year. I would love to visit komodo because 1) i hear the diving is great, 2) i hear the wet season months provide anazing manta viewing, and 3) because it has dragons as a land-based bonus. My concerns pertain to finding a good company to dive with this time of year (uber scuba, indo aggressor seem to be the only 2 with availability i have come across), and pertain to the technical difficulty of dives in south komodo waters dur to currents, weather, depths etc.

Does anyone have insights into the technical difficulty of diving south komodo? How does it compare to raja ampat? How do novice divers generally do on these trips? We're in shape and adventurous, but would hate to find ourselves in over our heads literally and figuratively and have that ruin our experience.

Thoughts appreciated, as well as any recs/opinions on operators.

You will be diving in strong currents at some point in both Raja Ampat & Komodo. That said, both locations offer great diving. Photo ops are generally wide angle at both locations. I've only dived RA & Komodo in Oct/Nov when water & weather have been great, so can't help regarding Feb. But I hear that period is also very good in both. I would suggest a liveaboard at both locations so you can visit a larger range of dive sites. I prefer South RA (Misool is there) vs North RA - more variety in my opinion. It's important that you book boats that have been diving the area for some time so they know how to dive the sites & are familiar with local currents & tides. Not fun dropping into a 3-4 kt current, hoping your tender will pick you up at the end of the dive. Upside is that the large schools of fish hang out in the current. Most boats dive both Komodo & RA, so there is a high season at each. A lot fewer choices during the off-season. Misool (Misool Eco $$$$) is my favorite area - a great variety of life. Potentially a great manta dive at Magic Mountain. Daram Islands east of Misool were amazing last Nov. Few boats dive there however (which is a good thing).

Last edited:
If your a strong swimmer, and comfortable underwater, and a competent but new diver you shouldn't be afraid. There has been very new divers on boats I've been on in Komodo and they fared well. Yes the currents can rip in both Komodo and RA, but with reputable operation the guide should be able to keep their eye on you.

In Komodo you definitely want to go on a LOB that will go south. Besides the two you mentioned you might look into Divine Diving, they have a LOB year round with trips to the south of Komodo. ( I've not dove with them, but may do a trip with them in Jan.)

Yes the diving is great in Komodo, and it can produce some really epic dives, ie just hanging out in Manta Alley with mantas all around you, or just simply being amazed at the profusion of fish swimming around the technicolor reefs.

Raja Amat is amazing also, the Missol area is the best of the best. You can't really go wrong with either location. Just be aware that once you've done either many dive spots around the world will pale in comparrison.

You will be diving in strong currents at some point in both Raja Ampat & Komodo. That said, both locations offer great diving. Photo ops are generally wide angle at both locations. I've only dived RA & Komodo in Oct/Nov when water & weather have been great, so can't help regarding Feb. But I hear that period is also very good in both. I would suggest a liveaboard at both locations so you can visit a larger range of dive sites. I prefer South RA (Misool is there) vs North RA - more variety in my opinion. It's important that you book boats that have been diving the area for some time so they know how to dive the sites & are familiar with local currents & tides. Not fun dropping into a 3-4 kt current, hoping your tender will pick you up at the end of the dive. Upside is that the large schools of fish hang out in the current. Most boats dive both Komodo & RA, so there is a high season at each. A lot fewer choices during the off-season. Misool (Misool Eco $$$$) is my favorite area - a great variety of life. Potentially a great manta dive at Magic Mountain. Daram Islands east of Misool were amazing last Nov. Few boats dive there however (which is a good thing).
the place is on the equator dude. depending on time of month (tides) can be strong. i estimate 3 kt to 5 kt current.. not bad, just ride the drift.

Check out Grand Komodo Liveaboard: Schedules & Rates

I have been with them twice in Komodo (in June & December) & once in RA (in January) & once in their Raja Ampat Dive Lodge (in November). They have experience DMs to pick the right time, sites & condition that would suit your experience level & comfort.

I see you wrote about strong currents. I was recently in Rabaul and my fins were inadequate. Can you recommend a strong fin for open ocean strong currents please?

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like the currents can be strong at either Komodo or Raja Ampat, but that this is either part of the fun or avoided by the guides.

We have been in contact with a liveaboard operator in South Komodo who told us we need to have Advanced Open Water / Adventure Deep training because the dive depths there are deeper than that accounted for with standard Open Water certificate. They are able to provide this additional certification on site. We would love to hear your opinion on this - is it a big step to get this additional certification? How helpful is it for S. Komodo? How different is it to do these deeper dives physically? Is this also an issue in Raja Ampat? Would love to hear from a depth perspective how these 2 sites differ.

Thanks again!

From my last LOB trip, 12-day Ultimate Raja Ampat (Dec 22, 2015 - Jan 2, 2016) I made 38 dives, with an average dept of 69', from 36' to 111'. The majority of the dive depths (30) are between 50' - 88'. The shallows are for manta & nice easy night dives like in Arborek pier (you don't want to miss it).

Browsing my Jun 2008, Jan 2013 & Aug 2014 logbook data of south Komodo:
Cannibal Rock 78'-88'
Yellow Texas Wall 82'
Crynoid Wall 88'
Tanjung Leoksera 97'
Damar Reef 83'
Nusa Kode 102'
Torpedo Alley 51-67'
Manta Alley 44' - 82'
Lob Namu 79'
Pink Beach 59'-103'

Last edited:
....Komodo seems more complicated. I've read that february is the 'wet' seadon in komodo, and as such, most liveaboards head to raja ampat. However, it also seems that a minority of companies stick around to dive in the southern waters of the park which warm/clear up at this time of year. I would love to visit komodo because 1) i hear the diving is great, 2) i hear the wet season months provide anazing manta viewing, and 3) because it has dragons as a land-based bonus. My concerns pertain to finding a good company to dive with this time of year (uber scuba, indo aggressor seem to be the only 2 with availability i have come across), and pertain to the technical difficulty of dives in south komodo waters dur to currents, weather, depths etc...

If you want to see manta, they hang out in Taka Makassar (North Komodo) in the winter & in Manta Alley (South Komodo) in the summer. So, if you go to the South Komodo in Feb, you may not be lucky to see one. Manta Alley is facing Indian Ocean. The weather was pretty bad when I was there in Jan 2013, we end up skipping diving in that area.

Back
Top Bottom