Technical trips in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wrecks of the Lastingham and the Rangitoto are on the same cape that the Lermontov ran aground on.

I haven't dived them myself as the Lermontov has always been the focus when we've been there, but have heard they are well worth the effort. They aren't wholly intact wrecks as they've been there for well over a century.

When are you planning to head over?

Last edited:
When are you planning to head over?

I haven't made firm plans yet. I'm in the information gathering phase, trying to understand everything one needs to know to properly plan a trip like this. Wreck diving is my passion and I've had an interest in the Lermontov ever since I first read about it, combined with the fact I've always wanted to visit New Zealand. I'm also hoping that twin sets and deco bottles are available along with the option to plan dive profiles accordingly. Thanks for your help and any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

It's a great wreck, very moody...

Twinsets and deco bottles are available from Dive Marlborough as well as the opportunity to use them as you wish.

Well, for me the moodiness of it comes down to the presence of passengers personal items, the way it's lying, the lifeboat ropes draped from the davits over the port side from when they were launched etc..

Thankfully there was only one death resulting from the sinking an engineer was reported to have gone down with the ship and has never been found. Regrettably a few diving deaths have occurred since.

Back
Top Bottom