Technical/Wreck Diving on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello,

looking through some posts here it looks like there are some good spots off Oahu to check out. Anybody on here have a current hook up for some technical or good wreck diving off Oahu? Will bring a scooter

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler ~
There are tons of good wrecks to dive here on Oahu and a few good dive operations that can take you there.

Here are a list of the wrecks that I’ve dove regularly here (off the top of my head). I’m sure I’m missing a few or more than a few.

East Side - Hawaii Kai:
- LCU East (Upside Down Navy Landing Craft Unit)
- Kahala Barge (Largest wreck one the east side)
- F4 Corsair (Oahu’s only natural wreck)
- Baby Barge
- There are 2-3 more barges near Baby Barge and Kahala Barge, but I don’t remember their names.

South Side - Honolulu:
- SeaTiger (Oahu’s deepest recreational dive 120+ feet)
- YO-257 & San Pedro (two large wrecks less than 30 meters apart)

West Side - Waianae:
- Mahi (Navy minesweeper)
- LCU (Navy Landing Craft Unit)
- 29 Down (plane wreck from the show Flight 29 Down)

The Sea Tiger, YO-257, San Pedro, and the two LCUs are in the best shape for penetrating. The Sea Tiger is by far the best for internal exploration, but since it sits so deep (90-120+ feet), your bottom time is limited with air or nitrox.

Island Diver Hawaii (East Side) and Honolulu Scuba Company (South Side) visit multiple wrecks every day; often on the same charter.

With a good drift (or a scooter), you can hit 3-4 barge wrecks on one dive on the East Side, if you’re just doing a dive-by of each.

Hope this is helpful.

Tyler ~
There are tons of good wrecks to dive here on Oahu and a few good dive operations that can take you there.

Here are a list of the wrecks that I’ve dove regularly here (off the top of my head). I’m sure I’m missing a few or more than a few.

East Side - Hawaii Kai:
- LCU East (Upside Down Navy Landing Craft Unit)
- Kahala Barge (Largest wreck one the east side)
- F4 Corsair (Oahu’s only natural wreck)
- Baby Barge
- There are 2-3 more barges near Baby Barge and Kahala Barge, but I don’t remember their names.

South Side - Honolulu:
- SeaTiger (Oahu’s deepest recreational dive 120+ feet)
- YO-257 & San Pedro (two large wrecks less than 30 meters apart)

West Side - Waianae:
- Mahi (Navy minesweeper)
- LCU (Navy Landing Craft Unit)
- 29 Down (plane wreck from the show Flight 29 Down)

The Sea Tiger, YO-257, San Pedro, and the two LCUs are in the best shape for penetrating. The Sea Tiger is by far the best for internal exploration, but since it sits so deep (90-120+ feet), your bottom time is limited with air or nitrox.

Island Diver Hawaii (East Side) and Honolulu Scuba Company (South Side) visit multiple wrecks every day; often on the same charter.

With a good drift (or a scooter), you can hit 3-4 barge wrecks on one dive on the East Side, if you’re just doing a dive-by of each.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for the info!

And with the scooter..
You could definitely do the YO to San Pedro to Airplanes to Fish Pyramids tour.
The same circuit the Atlantis Submarines run.
Talk to Matt Z at IDH/HSC.
Here's one of the Airplanes..
0VpwtRn.jpg

Reactions: CCS
Wow! I want to do that route!
That is mostly a local diver/club member thing. Making that route with a visitor to the islands that has no Hawaii diving experience can be a bit of a challenge. It is pretty awesome though. We also have a pretty large contingent of extended range divers, mostly on rebreathers, that like to do this kind of thing on scooters. DJ has scooters for rent and we can hook you up there.

For actual technical dive sites that is all private charter and bare boat. But we usually only charge $50 per person as you are guiding yourselves or hooked up with a local technical diver that is dragging you along because he/she wants to go too.

Some dive sites not mentioned
Friendship wreck 190fsw - from Kewalo
Tong's Wall 130-200fsw - from Kewalo
Shark's wall - 180-240fsw from Waianae
Eyes of God - 120-160 fsw from Waianae
Secret Garden - 110-160 fse from Hawaii Kai
Split Rock 120-150fsw from Hawaii Kai
Coal Barge 300fsw from Kewalo

If you get in touch with me I can put you in touch with the guys that are technical diving that I trust to be safe. You can take it from there and I'll schedule the boats, may even join you. Be aware that it is really unlikely that any of them are going to do a real tech dive with you until you've dove with them at least once on one of our recreational charters - as it should be IMO. If we can't fit your schedule I can recommend Ray from Cause Ruckus. He will take you too the Kewalo sites. Honolulu Scuba Company is where you get sorb, trimix, 02, stage bottles, rebreather bottles etc. We'll rent, fill all that to you with the proper certs. Prices are reasonable and access is 7am to 7pm daily.

Edit: I see you have scooter. Good start. PS you can scooter to Sea Tiger with a decent one. My P1 just barely make it there and back, but it has the advantage of being free, shouldn't be to hard to get someone to do it with you. Rebreather bottom time on that one though...

Echoing above, Island Divers / Honolulu Scuba Company is who I would talk to for technical diving.

Back
Top Bottom